planning permission on field

Agricultural buildings are subject to planning control and have been for at least ten years. Previously they were largely exempt.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

But they almost always can't refuse permission provided it's for real agriculture - not horses or play farmers. Appeals almost always get upheld in the courts with major costs against the planning authority if the building is genuinely needed for agriculture. The NFU is very helpful on this.

Reply to
G&M

That's 'cos the NFU (& the CLA) don't give a sh*t about planning policies & fair play, they'll support anything if it's proposed by a 'farmer', they don't really have an interest in safeguarding the countryside itself, just the wellbeing of the 'farmers' who pay their membnership fee.

Reply to
Mies van der Rohe

agriculture.

Oh if only. The NFU usually only supports the big farmers but will help the small ones out on planning. And as the countryside is owned by the farmers, what's your problem. If you want to have it doing something different than agriculture - buy some of it.

Reply to
G&M

I have; few years ago bought underused hay fields in tourism area & with support & planning permission from the council, it's now a fledgling campsite ;-)

The point being you should go through proper channels; the initial replies to the OP suggested he should not follow this course.

Reply to
Mies van der Rohe

The countryside is owned by large parasite landowners, who do the odd bit of farming here and there, but their main income is via rent taking, not agriculture. 70% of the land is owned by 1% of the population. See Who Owns Britain by Kevin Cahill.

Most replies did. They said find out before you do something. You can know the law/system and find it is against you. But re-labelling something can get you around rather silly laws/regs, and still be within the law.

Reply to
IMM

"Mies van der Rohe" wrote

'the' Mies van der Rohe? :-)

| I have; few years ago bought underused hay fields in tourism area | & with support & planning permission from the council, it's now | a fledgling campsite ;-)

Can you get grants from RSPB for that?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"G&M" wrote | But they almost always can't refuse permission provided it's | for real agriculture - not horses or play farmers.

The OP should say he's an organic Amish small-holder and needs the horses instead of a motor-car. Councils are scared still of religious discrimination lawsuits.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

*Are* there any Amish in the UK?
Reply to
Huge

I thoyught I had seen a small group of Amish in the concourse at Waterloo, but apparently they were Hatterites. There's a small group of Hatterites somewhere near Guildford, apparantly.

Not the same thing, but as good as.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "IMM" saying something like:

Oh ffs, change the record. It's a matter of fact that all of human history is about grabbing as big a bit of the pie as you can and f*ck your competitors. Land is only an expression of that.

Get over it. There's nothing you can do to change human nature - we're all extremely selfish bastards, and with good biological reasons for it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) saying something like:

For a crazy second I had an image of Roy Hattersley clones wandering around.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You seem like a nice boy, NOT

Reply to
nomatter

"Huge" wrote | >| But they almost always can't refuse permission provided it's | >| for real agriculture - not horses or play farmers. | >The OP should say he's an organic Amish small-holder and needs | >the horses instead of a motor-car. Councils are scared stiff | >of religious discrimination lawsuits. | *Are* there any Amish in the UK?

AFAIK there is no hereditary qualification so presumably conversion through seeing the (non-electric) light is possible.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

So because others have done wrong currently or in the past, means this is right? How strange. Two wrongs make a right then? Have you been taking Andy and Maxie lessons?

We made laws to curb a lot of selfish human nature, and they work quite effectively. Now we need to make laws to stop this massive rip-off. BTW, you are being ripped off. Think about it hard.

Reply to
IMM

Isn't it Hutterites?

I have a feeling that the UK part is a bit separate to that and known as the Bruderhof Community....

The principles appear to be relatively similar in outline to Amish, though.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Probably, and you're correct about it being the Bruderhof community as well.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I doubt it. I know of no way one could become Amish. AFAIK, all Amish are born into the faith.

(I know slightly more about this than your average Brit, since my parents live in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. We even went round to their housekeeper's parents' house once for tea. They were dead impressed with my schoolboy German and I was dead impressed with anyone who can keep up with the laundry when they have no electricity or running water and practice no birth control.)

Reply to
Huge

He can if he wishes - but the horses are still working animals, not livestock, and so are expected to stay within the curtilage of the living accomodation if they need covered premises. It is usually legal to put temporary stabling for a couple of horses against the side or back of the house on non-agricultural land, though not if you are not listed, or in a National Park, article 4 or conservation area.

Reply to
G&M

So that, coupled with you signature, paints an imaginative picture......