planefinder.net

Tonight I will mostly be sitting on the fence tracking arrivals at Heathrow on my tablet. Sad eh? Don't try this at home, it's highly addictive

Reply to
stuart noble

I do the same but at flightradar24.com....not that we have so many arrivals on the approach to 'Kent International'...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I occasionally look at the website ona clear day then wander outside to see if I can spot 'em at 35,000' B-)

I'd much rather know what the military stuff is that makes the windows rattle.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It was good tracking the Dreamliners that were coming over every day in the summer, at about 2000 feet.

Reply to
Bob Eager

+1

My house is about 13 miles from Birmingham Airport - more or less in line with the north/south runway, so lots of planes come over fairly low when approaching from the south. On a clear day, I can easily read "Emirates" on the underside of their twice daily 777 as it prepares to land.

One thing to watch is that if you leave Flightradar24 on for any length of time it uses a hell of a lot of bandwidth - so it's best suited to people on 'unlimited' internet packages.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Doesn't Birmingham only have a single runway?

Reply to
Andy Burns

You should get off your arse and get on one ;-)

Reply to
harryagain

I feel sorry for the poor devils in SW London. You shell out millions on a house in Richmond and you can't hear yourself speak.

Reply to
stuart noble

Can't be bothered if I'm honest :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

So? It's not like Heathrow is secret, is it?

Reply to
Huge

The suggested third runway would take a proportion of air traffic away from Kew and Richmond but they're (predictably) dead against it.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Some things you can't buy e.g. silence I suppose there are technical reasons why the approach has to be along The Thames, prevailing winds etc

Reply to
stuart noble

In message , at 12:29:32 on Wed, 1 Jan 2014, stuart noble remarked:

It's probably easier for them, and they can't be bothered to do anything else. The old Hong Kong airport required a right angle turn only a few miles out, so in theory Heathrow's planes could approach from the north or south if the will was there.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Yep do that here and by and large it all ties up;!)...

Sad I know but..

One of them sliced thru the stay wire of a TV mast in fog once in your area;(...

Reply to
tony sayer

Which was one of the reasons Kai Tak was a "Black Star" airport.

Huge

They won't tell you anything about the military stuff other than lies about there being "no operations in your area". I know, I've tried.

Reply to
Huge

There's also a shorter east/west runway which intersects the main runway, but that's not used very often - and never at the same time!

The vast majority of flights use the main runway - taking off and landing either in a northerly or southerly direction depending on wind direction and/or the whim of the air traffic controllers.

It's only the ones landing from the south which pass over my house - and they're still at around 5000 feet. If they're coming from the north - e.g. Scotland - but landing from the south, they execute a U-turn right over my house!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Looking on google satellite map, it's not got runway markings, wikip says it's now only used as a taxiway.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , at 14:52:17 on Wed, 1 Jan

2014, Huge remarked:

Only one of them though. I think avoiding the mountain and the harbour were much higher up the list.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Which bit of "one of the" was it you missed?

Reply to
Huge