Pikey Express!

Like, for example Medway Council making £4 million from parking charges & fines in a year. Car parks charge until 10pm, Sats & Suns included and stating publicly that they won't accept any reason to cancel a parking charge.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Won't they collect items? My LA will collect bulky items (even scrap cars!) FOC, up to a limit of, ISTR, four or five a year.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

They will - eventualy. Last time I tried it was a three piece suite, they said it would take 10 -14 days. Didn't feel like leaving it on the drive for that long, so I paid a guy in a van.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ask them to open it!

How do you think people with 4x4s get in?

Reply to
dennis

In message , "dennis@home" writes

No, not at all, but I do understand your point.

I think you may have mis-understood my case. I can tip for free at the council site but they make it so bloody difficult that I can't be arsed. Instead I go to commercial landfill and pay for a service for which I have actually already paid the council.

Bear in mind, this is all non commercial, domestic waste - even if from my own DIYings.

Kind Regards Someone

Reply to
somebody

In our local tip they don't. The height barrier is only ever opened for the trucks collecting the waste containers.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You're right - I appealed against a parking charge earlier this year (alledgedly failure to display in Boley Hill car park, in reality failure to see the obvious ticket). I had evidence that the ticket had been purchased and displayed, but more importantly that the PCN did not comply with section 66 of the Road Traffic Act 1991.

I appealed to the council, giving what were solid legal grounds, and they rejected my appeal by return of post. I then appealed to the independent adjudicator at the traffic penalty tribunal, who upheld the appeal and cancelled the charge.

It was the printed PCN that did not comply with the act, so every one of their tickets must have been unenforcable. Perhaps this is still the case, I wouldn't know. Perhaps no one had bothered to check before, or maybe the council just don't care.

So yes, medway council will just reject appeals, even with a cast-iron defence, but the independent adjudicator does judge the cases fairly. And it's always worth checking that the PCN complies with the relevent sections of the RT act.

Reply to
Caecilius

I hope you got a waste transfer note to try to ensure it wasn't just dumped somewhere :-)

Round here special collections are a few days after the regular one. My normal refuse collection is on a Friday; the 'special' collection is normally the following Wednesday (or it might be Tuesday)...

The next few days might be all to c*ck, since I think a lot of Unison workers are taking two days unpaid 'holiday'...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Thanks for that. Next time the bastards ticket me I'll know more about it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , Caecilius writes

Take it to the local paper - let them do an article as to why it isn't legal, shaft the buggers

Reply to
geoff

I'd have them over the coals for that one. There is a similar arrangement at a tip in Bracknell where I sometimes go. If I just have the Discovery it will go under the barrier. If I have anything on the roof, it won't Fortunately they have a separate liftable barrier that a pikesworth has to come and open.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Many local governments are turning into dictatorships. Mine certainly is.

Reply to
Bob Martin

/pedant on

I doubt it - few local governments are run by one person. ITYM an oligarchy, as I don't think the term "incompetantarchy" has been coined yet.

/pedant off

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Theocracy springs to mind, when its based on socshlissed rather than religious precepts, but still entirely unsupported by objective evidence.;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, when I get to run things, councils will have to send all parking revenue to Whitehall, save for a small set deduction for expenses. At that point, particularly when the local council and HMG are not of the same persuasion, they'll be falling over themselves to decide how little parking control is necessary .... No more issuing tickets at Tesco Teddington at

1825 on Saturdays.

.. meanwhile unlike now they'll be allowed to keep business rates so will have a vested interest in encouraging the well-being of town centres and commercial investment, instead of using parking and planning restrictions to try and stop it.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Blimey. He asked?

Reply to
Huge

He did. Not only that, he appologised for calling so early (I was still in my dressing gown at the time).

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In article , The Medway Handyman scribeth thus

I've got an old washing machine but their too upmarket for such stuff round here;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , tony sayer writes

Person, or rather persons have just removed 3 X NY14 masts from my property Tony, just had the quote for replacement £16,000:00 plus from SMC. Wish ours would stick with collecting washing machines!!!!!!!

Reply to
Bill

Came across a gentleman of the travelling persuasion wrestling a dishwasher out of a skip t'other day. Said Give us your mobile and I'll let you know when I've got any iron or steel (boilers, rads etc) to get rid of, thinking it'll save me lugging them down to the scrappies where I don't get any money for them, and he could make something from them. Cheeky SOB starts hassling me for copper & brass "You got anything for me? Now?". Didn't actually tell him to go forth & multiply but it put me right off ever gving him a call.

Reply to
John Stumbles