pigeon scarer

LA has the greatest density of guns per individual anywhere in the world I shouldn't wonder.

Surprised the wols are there,let alone pidgins. ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Eat the egg, then eat the pigeon that laid it. Then eat the pigeon that laid the pigeon that laid the egg.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They've come back from their holidays.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

So they are going to keep coming back, you won't be able to scare them away now.

If a gun is not practical, trap them, preferably with a twin-chamber trap. Failing that, get a washing up bowl, prop it up on a stick tied to a string, and wait ...

Don't try to release them, they will come back. See here:

Don't bother to pluck them, just skin the breasts.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Does this ultimately imply eating God?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes, but not in Korea where there is a character inversion.

Reply to
Matt

What about paving the patio with veroboard with alternate tracks connected to an electric fence impulser?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If you are seeing pigeons grinning at you, I'd leave off the ale for a while.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

PIR triggered cat noises?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

LOL nice one !!!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

I had feared this.

They don't fly away as soon as they see me through the window any more. I now have to bang on the window.

Actually, they look quite cute looking after their egg.

Pity they are pigeons.

tim

Reply to
tim (back at home)

We had one at work just outside the window. Actually, the nest was on top of one of the security floodlamps, which probably helped with the egg. We setup a webcam on it, and people from all round the world were watching our pigeon. The pigeons left the nest and didn't reuse it after the chick had gone. As nests go, it was rather pathetic anyway -- very little in the way of any nesting materials.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , tim (back at home) writes

tim (back from Sweden?)

A quick google suggests pigeons are susceptible to ultrasound attack so that might me an avenue to explore. Looks like catty ultrasound deterrents are cheaper than birdy deterrents so may be a cheaper source. DIY cheaper still if you're of the veroboard & solder fraternity.

Reply to
fred

Don't be fooled. They are pests and spread diseases. It's like rabbits (and foxes) if they had scales they would be been wiped out by now.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Yep, it was about three dozen loose sticks until I cleared it away yesterday.

They came back with 5 or 6 sticks and laid their egg on that.

tim

Reply to
tim (back at home)

Yup, I like to keep some continuity.

(I used to post here a lot 6 ISP accounts ago, but much less frequently since I started the trips abroad)

tim

Reply to
tim (back at home)

They're pigeons. They're there. Observe them and preserve them whilst they raise their chick. If they won't fly away then you should be able to get some decent high quality photos and try and flog them. Note that you need to make your balcony inaccessible next spring so as to give your neighbour the chance to partake in such a privilege.

Reply to
John Cartmell

They're birds. They do have scales. You need to take more interest in the wild-life around you.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Wood or Feral?

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

Who cares. Stick doves on the list too. Cutout of hawks etc DO NOT WORK. I've tried several designs placed in various places. The pigeon is such a completely STUPID FILTHY creature that even if it going to get attacked still pecks away and spreads filth everywhere if lands. As you can guess I hate the damn things. My elderly (fit and alert but stupendously inconsiderate) neighbour has multiple bird feeders and spends all of 1 hour per day watching them. She then retires to the other end of house and spies of the passers-by for the rest of the day. Thing is I work nights and the bird noise in the early hours from this overfeeding wakes me at 05:30 most mornings. So I get maybe 3 hours sleep on a good night. Oh yes, the PIGeons. The small birds throw seed up in the air and it lands on what's left of the lawn. There. the pigeons go for it. AFAIK you cannot (in law) just go firing an airgun within certain distance of anothers property. Also poisoning is probably illegal - and in the present time of bird flu risk rather silly as it may cause unnecessary worry. Wish I had a solution for you - but haven't found one myself.

A small improvement for me recently though. The clouds of sparrows that feed off this artificial feast were slowed up recently when a WONDERFUL Sparrow Hawk barrelled into the sods. It grabbed a sparrow and ripped it to shreds on my lawn. It was at least, quick. At least there is some natural justice and I hope the Hawk sticks around. Pity the real cause isn't prey for it!

ps Actually maybe there ought to be some emergency legislation to stop over-feeding of wild birds - that's the last thing we need now with high risk bird-flu possibility.

Reply to
Dave