pigeon scarer

Well the y do here!. Perhaps its because their Cambridge pigeons.

Just open the door slightly and once they see the barrel, there're off!.....

Reply to
tony sayer

What about something like the industrial anti-slip mesh matting for floors? That might be nasty enough to stop them landing, but wouldn't affect your use (and can easily be lifted or hosed down).

Or even really spiky plastic "grass" matting?

Otherwise, bead curtain around the balcony, if it's inset to the building and you have a 'ceiling' to hang it from. It probably wouldn't have to be that closely curtained, individual 'tails' spaced less than a pigeon-wing-width apart might do it. Run a horizontal string along the bottom to tie the 'tails' together, like a vertical blind, to stop them swinging about.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Regarding suggestions to shoot them, uk.legal.moderated is quite good if you ever need legal advice following arrest for gun-related offences.

Phil

----

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that having killed the first 2, some more would take their place.

Of course I don't have a gun, I live in a town centre third floor flat. The rozzers would be round in a jiffy if I displayed such an item (they are 200 yards away from my abode).

tim

Reply to
tim (back at home)

misterroy

So there's no way they could find their way home ... ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

You own it?

A friend used a thin thread just above the handrail to stop them landing on that ... Not sure how effective it was but you have to stop them laying eggs. They're horrid things and you'll end up with dead baby ones.

Reply to
mogga

Here in Newcastle, there are entire building fronts covered in netting to keep the pigeons off. The building here has a net from top to bottom:

is black and very fine, and virtually invisible.

-- JJ

Reply to
Jason

Bright enough to fly away if a sudden movement disturbs them sure and they can mysteriously navigate home. But time & time again pidgeons and similar 'no brain' creatures will return to a set of circumstances or a place that obviously means sudden death to their own kind.

Either they aint that bright or perhaps there are so many of the buggers its new ones every time?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

|>> I don't think pigeons are actually bright enough to associate death |>> with a place. | |tony sayer wrote: |> Just open the door slightly and once they see the barrel, there're |> off!..... | |> John Cartmell wrote: |> So there's no way they could find their way home ... ;-) | |Bright enough to fly away if a sudden movement disturbs them sure and they |can mysteriously navigate home. But time & time again pidgeons and similar |'no brain' creatures will return to a set of circumstances or a place that |obviously means sudden death to their own kind. | |Either they aint that bright or perhaps there are so many of the buggers its |new ones every time?

Well it is *certainly* not the dead ones which return ;-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Eh?

They've laid an egg this morning

Now what do I do?

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

tim

Reply to
tim (back at home)

How long ya been in the flat?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

> It is black and very fine, and virtually invisible.

From the outside, perhaps.

But surely from the inside it's always going to get in the way of one 'enjoying' the balcony

tim

Reply to
tim (back at home)

Good idea, but I was also thinking moving it from place to place.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Hardboil it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

7.5 years.

This is the first time they have decided that they like my balcony.

tim

Reply to
tim (back at home)

Mary Fisher!

What about all that tree-hugging stuff you normally do ;-)

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

In some parts of the country, a gun is the norm for flat dwellers.

I was thinking more of an air rifle, very effective at short range. An AK47 does tend to make a bit of a mess of the woodwork.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

So they now have broadband in the cells...

Mungo :-)

Reply to
Mungo

Pigeons are a LOT smarter han you think. Round here you just walk down the garden and they grin at you. Walk with a long sticklike object and they scatter.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher