Picking up the tools again.

I haven't touched a soldering iron for about fifty years, so I thought of using this shutdown time to get geared up for a bit of tech activity. Got myself a USB scope, a couple of multimeters and a dual stabilised DC power supply so far. I have loads of new components in the loft (or at least they were in 1970 - 1980) left over from various commercial/military projects. I hope all this will keep me interested for a while. I started building a novel design for a human presence/movement detector in 1976, but shelved it because of work commitments, so I will probably continue with that for starters.

Sorry, I am just rambling in my old age.

Reply to
John

Like yourself, my electronics construction is in abeyance.

Your old components should all be OK apart from the electrolytic capacitors.

In expectation of a revival in interest, I have been sidelining my 40 year old components and building up a stock of SMD, in particular the largest 1206 sizes before they disappear. (0201 anybody?)

But what I will not be re-awakening is my Henley Solon soldering irons because several of any size of SMD will fit on their copper bits!

Perhaps something to stimulate a 50 year old interest is the PDP11 and PDP8 emulator kits ...

Gareth Evans

good for you

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I've been using them pretty regularly for as long. For most of that time it was via a Weller Soldering station (with BT) and I'm still using it today. ;-)

Good man.

I'm not sure how much use you will put that to. I have a real (Tectronics I think) scope and I can't remember the last time I used it but I guess that depends on what sort of thing you are doing.

Always handy. ;-)

An essential.

Hmm ...

If you get that sorted, I'd be interested as part of a lighting project.

Hey, it makes a change from the B that was replaced with the C word. ;-)

Most of my recent 'electronics' projects have revolved around the Arduino micro controllers but there is also a certain purity with something that just works made from discrete components.

Such an example is a LED I fitted to my Weller Soldering station that comes on when the element is heating. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I built one of these, for fun (it does work):

and also one of these:

Bob Eager

I used many of those in their standard guise in my time (especially the NE/LM555/6's). ;-) [1]

Something I've seen and fancied (a bit too young for thermionic devices so not a tube amp or clock) but just the 1" cube blocks of materials like Titanium and Tungsten etc.

I mean, I'm aware of the mass of 'heavy' metals but offering someone to hold the Titanium and then the Tungsten and seeing their reaction would be fun.

Cheers, T i m

[1] The last being an 8 channel disco lighting controller that had 4 main programs and other timers that allowed the automatic stepping between them or sub functions (like a auto reversing running light with analogue control over the speed and change of direction (1 x 556)).

Zero crossing detection between the opto-isolated outputs and the triacs, all made on Veroboard and hand wired using solid strand insulated wire.

All that (logic) could now be done with a single Microcontroller. ;-(

Reply to
T i m

No, you're late forties/early fifties.

Reply to
Richard

The main difference these days is everything is surface mount, ie no holes etc. This was just becoming the norm when I retired, but my eyesight by then was shot in any case.

So if you need any new components it is very hard to find the ones for normal fixings, ie with wires etc, at a reasonable cost and genuine. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

I'm sure there could be a number of one off things disabled folk might require these days that are not catered for by mass market forces.

Incidentally a person detector is very close to a Theramone. Did I spell that right, one of those musical instruments that makes sounds by waving your arms around near to two metal electrodes. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Nearly there Brian it is a Theremin

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Jim GM4DHJ ...

Jim GM4DHJ ...

Jim GM4DHJ ...

Or even Dekatrons...takes me back.

Reply to
John

Eighty this year..

Reply to
John

Excellent film...

Reply to
John

I still have plenty of Veroboard, discrete components and a microscope Brian.

I still have plenty of Veroboard, discrete components and a microscope.

Reply to
John

But an interesting device in that it has both analogue and digital parts!

I used one about 5 years ago to make up the standard design for a capacitance meter (and how I now regret in a periodical clear out of consigning the box of Baekelite meters to the skip)

Reply to
Gareth Evans

I came across some of those 42 years ago in the CEGB's private telephone network, replacing in some way either Uniselectors or Strowger switches.

The interesting thing is that there was a low power incandescent bulb permanently lit inside the cabinet and when I queried this, ws told that it improves the behaviour of the Dekatrons, but I guess that was because of the background heating it supplied rather than some optical effect?

Reply to
Gareth Evans

... for which you need to know the colour code, which was taught to me when working at Westinghouse Brake And Signal Co in Chippenham 45 years as the now most politically incorrect ...

Black Bastards Rape Our Young Girls But Virgins Go Without.

Reply to
Gareth Evans