Petrol strimmers

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

When you do, can I have one of your sheds, please?
Dave
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Look on the bright side though - you could have been shagging your sister since about the age of 8
Owain

He'd have to live in Norfolk for that.
Owain wrote:

Unlikley. On the diet of those days puberty was about 19.
On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 23:34:07 +0100, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"

Luxury !
We 'ad it tough ...
DG
normanwisdom wrote:

Requires a fair bit of skill to use a scythe effectively. It helps ro be taught by an experienced user.
A sickle, along with a good honing stone in the back pocket to sweeten it up now and then, is quite simple to master, and will quietly and satisfyingly cover the ground surprisingly quickly. The thin bladed sort even do a reasonable job on a lawn, and leave it green, when a combination of mowers and drought turns most lawns brown. It also enables you to keep your eye on the real problem weeds so you can hoik them out properly as you go: whereas, the strimmer brigade only succeed in turning acres into scrub suckers and dandelion and dock roots: but they don't care cos it's usually someone else's patch they are working on, and keeping it that way gets them more 'work' the next year. Only problem I had with the sickle was, I didn't like it when I sliced frogs in half... Scythe handles, tend to be a favourite with the wood worms, I find...

A few years ago (actually....about 20 now - I must be getting old) my Grandad died and we had to clear out the house. As there was loads of what appeared to us to be half decent furniture we got a friendly local antiques guy around.
He dismissed all of the furniture but pulled 3 scythe handles out of the bonfire we were preparing to light in the garden. That and two egg cups were all that he found of any value.
Apparantly the handles go for a decent amount of cash to beefeater type pubs to make them into authentic country pubs (well, that's the idea - never seen one that didn't just look tacky). They probably pay extra for authentic wood worm :) The one up for the road from us has some really convincing woodworm holes in the beams - they are perfectly square...
Darren
S Viemeister wrote:

Signed No-toes Viemeister.
Si
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

:) Never even scratched myself! Developing a nice, even swing, took a while, though. Very satisfying, once you get it right.
Sheila

Scythe safe for the user but could be a hazard to onlookers especially if they come too close. And frogs etc but they tend to hop off sharpish.
cheers Jacob

True but it's not that difficult. There are websites e.g http://www.scythesupply.com / I use one on my allotment for the long grass, nettles, comfrey, path edges etc. It's really fast compared to a strimmer. I use a motor mower for grass paths and lawns however.
cheers Jacob

I've been through similar searches recently, and ended up with the Sovereign Brush Cutter from Homebase. Bought it on their recent 10% day for less than 90. Assembly instructions, whilst in English, could be better, and I've now added 2 washers (4mm total thickness) under the main (brush cutter blade) nut so that the split pin is doing something useful in the safety department. (No, there weren't any items left over after assembly.) It has a straight shaft, "bicycle handlebar" control, bevel gear at the business end, and comes with both brush cutter blade, and strimmer head. It's my first two stroke garden tool, so I'm unqualified to say how easy it is to start, but start it does, and biggest initial problem was measuring 5ml oil for the 1:40 oil:petrol mix for my 205ml trial fill. (Small 5ml syringe to the rescue.)
http://www.isc-gmbh.info/isc-gmbh/index.php?PHPSESSID 6648202466cf90d7956b&menuref=prod&prodid41&level1=&level2115&level3116&level4531&level5=&level6 Downloadable manual and brochure in English from the German website above.
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK
Malcolm Stewart wrote:

Thanks, Malcolm, I'll have a search around for one.
Si