Petrol additive for an old engine

I've been given an elderly (40-50 years) cultivator - 4 stroke Briggs and Stratton single cylinder engine. Seems to be all OK and the engine runs fine. However I believe I should be adding something to the petrol to make it equivalent to that containing lead.

A local agricultural machinery company said this wasn't necessary, but a decoke would be advisable.

What's the collective's opinion please ?

Thanks

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

It really depends what the exhaust valve seat consists of. If it's part of a cast iron block or cylinder head you might well have problems, but even then not always. If the material the seat is in is aluminium it will have a steel insert which is almost certainly hard enough.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm with the local company. A 50 year old briggs and stratton probably runs best on a mixture of poteen and medical ether anyway. :-)

Decoke and regrind the valves, pour in something vaguely petroleum based and it will run.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks guys - the thought had crossed my mind that the duty cycle,etc would be so low that an additive might well not be necessary.

Interestingly I have tried several what I thought were suitable outlets and they looked at me rather blankly !

Re. then suggestions of a decoke, how do I get round the probable problem of a gasket, etc ?

Thanks again

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Just adjust the valves, change the oil etc and use it. That's what I'd do if it were me and it otherwise ran ok.

Reply to
adder1969

Make one.

You can in extremis use lead sheet..copper sheet..I've even used cornflake packets for water gaskets.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher