Perspex adhesive

I'm trying to purchase a small quantity of acrylic cement to bond a small acrylic tube to some rod. In the past I've used Chloroform but I don't suppose I can get any of that this day and age. Any ideas? Don

Reply to
Donwill

You should be able to get some suitable adhesive from your local sign shop.

Reply to
Neil

Ask your local pharmacist for help. They may be able to get you a small bottle. You do have to sign a legal document for it now-a-days, though, to prevent you from using such chemicals in an illegal manner. But you should be able to get it from the friendly chemists shop.

Reply to
BigWallop

There's a model shop near me (Stoneleigh, Surrey) which sells small bottles of plastic weld fluid, which sticks many types including Perspex. You position the two bits you want to join together, and apply this very thin liquid to the join so that it wicks into the gap. It works well, and presumably is available in other parts of the country. It says it contains Methyl Chloride. I didn't have to sign anything.

Dave W

Reply to
Dave W

ha, no. Its diy makable but I dont remember how. And not a great choice. Can you really not find acetone?

NT

Reply to
NT

BigWallop has brought this to us :

Needing to solve a similar problem myself, I attempted to obtain some. The chemists do not seem to stock it all and would have to get it in specially and it is not available without prescription.

So I then looked for a alternatives and found

weld acrylic (which is also Perspex) they recommend WC102 which is £5 delivered, for a 20gm bottle including applicator.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks for that, have ordered some. Cheers Don

Reply to
Donwill

AFAIA, Acetone is not a solvent for Methyl Methacrylate (perspex, acrylic, plexiglas, etc) Don

Reply to
Donwill

I'm pretty sure it is.

NT

Reply to
NT

I have found Cyanoacrylate works well with perspex. It appears to solvent weld it, as well as polymerising. With care, you can bond two transparent pieces together with the bond being invisible when you look through it, and if you pull it apart, the perspex breaks before the bond separates.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

No, I don't think it is.

Not sure that methyl chloride is either, or methyly ethyl ketone..or Xylene..

These all work with ABS, styrene and PVC though. I THINK.

Acetone dissolves super glue..one of the few things that does.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was amazed at your claim. I haven't any superglue in the house, but do have a bottle of Loctite SuperGlue3 remover dated 1994. I tried this and it worked as you describe after an hour or so!

Dave W

Reply to
Dave W

For completeness, here is what's on the label:

EMA Plastic Weld For styrene, butyrate, ABS, acrylic, Perspex. EMA Model Supplies Ltd. Unit 2, Shepperton Business Park Govett Ave. Shepperton TW17 8BA (01932) 228 228

Dave W

Reply to
Dave W

I guess the SuperGlue3 remover is just acetone. As perspex dissolves in acetone, this is probably simply a solvent weld you are producing.

Cyanoacrylate polymerises into an acrylic resin, not dissimilar to perspex, so the mechanism of the bond is different with Cyanoacrylate. (Having read up some more, I suspect I was wrong about Cyanoacrylate solvent welding perspex, as it's not in a solvent. It forms a similar acrylic polymer to perspex, and most likely is that the polymer directly bonds to the perspex polymer surface.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel