Pendulum clock runs *fast* in hot weather

Further thoughts: The first thing you must do is to tilt the clock sideways till it ticks evenly.

You said the striking tended to hesitate, which sounds as if the oil has gone gooey and stiff. Probably the hands also hesitate sometimes, looking like slow running, but the hot weather has liquified the oil so less hesitation at present. I suggest a good dowsing in WD40 to disssolve the old oil, followed by re-oiling with clock oil or maybe sewing machine oil which might be easier to get. Not '3-in-1' oil which tends to solidify when the lighter fraction has evaporated.

Reply to
Dave W

Aaargh! WD40! You should take it to bits and clean it all - my dad used petrol - then reassemble and put the tiniest amount of clock oil in each bearing. (The oil is only held in by surface tension.)

But, since it appears to be working, leave it alone or it'll never work again.

Reply to
Max Demian

====snip====

====snip====

====snip====

Follow up on that note:

It seems procrastination *does* pay after all!

Whilst on a fortnight's cruise to the Canaries earlier this month, I managed to purchase another Casio DB360 in Gibraltar. I'd spotted a similar (not exact and in black) Casio in the window of a small electronics shop in Main Street (Jaya Bazaar) so went in to have a closer look.

Whilst chatting to the proprietor about my desire to purchase another DB360 to replace the rather battered example I was wearing, he told me he thought he might have that exact model in his stock room and went off to check, returning with a brand new boxed DB360 (complete with ~250 page

-40 in English- instruction manual booklet).

Talk about serendipity! At a mere £32.95 (Sterling), I couldn't resist the opportunity to purchase a watch I'd been able to handle and verify as a fully functioning "Real Deal"(tm) item. Never mind the 'Travelling Costs' (that was a sunk cost anyway), it seemed a much better risk than paying an eBay trader a similar amount and keeping fingers crossed that I'd actually receive a brand new unused (if rather old stock) Casio DB360. :-)

The *only* difference[1] between the original and the new watches being their countries of manufacture - Malaysia (old) and China (new). Apart from that (and the wear and tear on the old), they're otherwise identical. It's funny how things work out, given enough time.

BTW, checking against the time.is site with the browser VPN disabled, I get the following:

Your time is exact! The difference from Time.is was +0.011 seconds (±0.027 seconds)

With the browser VPN enabled, I get this result:

Your time is exact! The difference from Time.is was +0.003 seconds (±0.048 seconds). Time in London, United Kingdom now:

00:34:25 Saturday, September 1, 2018, week 35 Sun: ? 06:14 ? 19:47 (13h 33m) [1] If you ignore the fact that the new watch seems to have gained ~6 seconds in the past 16 days since I bought it, compared to the ~4 seconds gained by the old watch since I stopped wearing it.

I've never worn any watch to bed as a rule so my watches have always been subjected to some level of daily thermal cycling (even with my first LCD watch, a Sekonda with a display that blanked out at low room temperatures!).

Reply to
Johnny B Good