PCB potted in epoxy

When I used to do that, we potted the "test" units up with a removable potting compound (silicone rather than filled epoxy, AFAIR). Although the units were sealed well enough to survive in service (chemical splash more than impact), it was still possible to re-open them afterwards with a scalpel and peel them out. Then they'd often have small changes made (hybrid circuits manually de-soldered, swapped and re-soldered), potted up again and would go back into service.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks - that explains my failure at repairng the kettle spout seam.

Reply to
Geo

Most electronics are guaranteed to a storage temp of about 125C.

70C operational is typical commercial.

So simmering might well work.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It might, but it also might not, it might destroy it.

It will in many cases raise the Tg - the glass transition temperature. Post cure controlled heat is often used in high end applications of epoxy (aerospace/motorsport) to ensure long term stability under high temperature conditions.

Depends on the temperature and there is nothing particularly special about heat and moisture, heat and no moisture can also degrade epoxy.

Reply to
Mike

its a definite risk though, any component less than perfectly sealed will saturate. I'd want to give it a long hot dry out time, a week or so.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

hehe. Story of the day. We have several Sony set top boxes for digital TV..

One in teh lving room, one in my 'den' and one in the bedroom.

"Darling, wheres the ***ing controller fr the bedroom"

"Cant find it. I am sure it was on the bedspread and diuvet"

"Well where is that, the bed is stripped" "In the ashing machine"....

Yup she had WASHED the controller.

So I took the Den one and took the batteries out of the other one and shoved it in the airing cupboard - a shot to nothing - and forgot about it..till I had occasion about 3 weeks later to go to the cupboard again.

By golly, fresh set of batteries, and it worked!

.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

When my wife washed her mobile, some of the legs on the ICs hadn't just corroded, they had dissolved away

Reply to
geoff