Paving - levels?

IANAL but I think you will find that does not obviate the need to seek planning permission, which can still be refused. The condition as I understand it is how and where the water drains, not whether you have a right to let it do so. To put it another way, waters need to drain somewhere (unless it is contained until it evaporates, bottled and drunk, electrolysed into hydrogen and oxygen which is release, sent to the moon, ...........)

Reply to
neverwas

I seem to recall somewhere between 1 in 40 to 1 in 80 gives just about the right fall.

Reply to
gunsmith

It happens that mo formulated :

A laser level, if you don't mind looking silly hopping around the garden in the dark. Mine is surprisingly accurate and provides an horizontal or vertical fan beam, usable in full dark upto 30m.

Put wooden pegs in during daylight and set the level up ready to use. Then when it is dark enough, just get all the peg tops driven in to the same level. Much quicker and easier than a water level - I laid out a large garage base with mine.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Following on from this anyone recommend a cheap laser level for occasional use? I remember buying one form Aldi or Lidl a year or so and it was useless.

Thanks.

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

You may well be right, but I'm just bouncing ideas around for fun. If I discharge water onto the highway, I am not discharging it to a drain, but simply exercising my rights and then it is the council that is choosing to use a drain rather than a soakaway. Alternatively, simply by sloping my drive and footpath differently, I could direct the water off the footpath rather than the drive and then it would pour onto the council's grass verge, would this then fall outside the planning requirements, as it is similar to directing it to your lawn. To be honest, if I ever do decide to widen the driveway for a second vehicle, I'll be talking to the council first anyway and as I already have a section of drive that is loose stone, I'd probably go that route.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

If you're going to take that much trouble - what's wrong with a Cowley? It even works in daylight...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Steven Campbell brought next idea :

I bought one from Boyes about three or four years ago. It came with an half decent tripod with the unit itself the size of an half pint mug. Two push button switches one for horizontal, one for vertical line and a knob underneath to release the plumb bob on which the lasers were suspended. It also has a bubble to get the base level, which seemed rather pointless as it self levels.

No matter what I compared it against, I could not find even the slightest of errors in the lines it produced, but I may have been lucky. I have so far used it for decorating, laying out a garage base. It cost £20 on special offer.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I have a ryobi level i got off ebay for about £15.

no good in the light, it doesn't seem to be of much use unless it is on a totally flat surface (i.e you would prob need an adjustable tripod to get it perfect on bumpy ground outside.

Reply to
mo