Patmore water softeners - any comments/experience?

A friend is moving into a new house and wants to install a water softener, he's thinking about:-
http://www.patmore-softeners.co.uk/features.htm
Does anyone have any experience or comments on these?
--
Chris Green

On 3 Jan 2006 09:55:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

Is it the softer water you are after or merely the lack of limescale?
A friend bought a scalewasher electronic thingumy off QVC or ebay or somewhere and he swears by it. I know there is some debate over these but it only cost him 40 so possibly worth a go.
If you want the thing to actually soften the water then get a softener (Sorry, I have no experience of the Patmore ones but they do look good)
Remember, though that you should have separate taps for drinking water due to the potential increase in salt levels in softened water (Bad)
sponix
sPoNiX wrote:

They actually increase the sodium levels - not salt (the salt consumed by them is not added to the softened water).
--
Cheers,

John.

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

Looks nice, How did you/he come across that particular one?

He got a leaflet through his door I think.
--
Chris Green

That is the "Twin Tec S2". It is made by the British company Harvey Softeners who make softeners with several different brand names. In the weird franchised world of softeners, that one is only available from a few suppliers. Harvey supplies non-franchise suppliers with a unit badged as either "Twin Tec S1" or "Crown". The only difference that I can see is that the S2 has a smaller box and a higher price.
They are almost identical in design concept (twin tank, non-electrical) to the "2020c" made by the American company Kinetico. I think the difference is that the Harvey has smaller tanks and brings the second tank into operation when it is not being regenerated whereas the Kinetico does not. Ask others whether that is a good idea or not.
Be careful not to get ripped off. Some quotes are excessive. Best prices I could find are from http://www.ezsoftener.com/index.asp?pid=H&sc=google
How much is he being quoted?