Parquet Flooring Patterns - What are my options?

I want to lay parquet in the hall and dining-room of our three-bed-semi.

Can anyone list the options available in terms of patterns, or (better still) guide me to a link that illustrates them?

I am aware of herring-bone the 'four square' (not sure of the correct term) pattern involving four squares of four tiles forming a larger square.

Also, I seem to recall seeing a hall laid out with three or four straight rows around the edges and herring-bone within the resulting frame. Does this have a name?

Many thanks.

Denis

Reply to
DM