Parkside chainsaw oiler

Interesting. Not quite the same as my Ryobi although the plastic bit looks similar. IIRC the genuine replacement was around £20.

One more project to add to the list (although TBH for the limited use mine gets, I might just stick with a can of spray).

Reply to
newshound

Somewhat embarrassed to admit that the oil that I drained from the tank that *looked* clean on first inspection, wasn?t. After a night settling in a glass bowl it was clear that there was a lot of fine dust in the oil. I thought I?d been really careful when topping up the oil but obviously not.

I?ve now flushed and rinsed the whole system with white spirit and got more out of the filter so it was probably just a blocked filter all along.

Just for fun I put the white spirit through a coffee filter?

So, at the end of the day, the new pump might prove to be superfluous but I couldn?t have accessed all the lines without all the disassembly.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Another point is that the "green" vegetable oil recommended for chainsaws will of course degrade more rapidly than mineral oil by oxidation and/or polymerisation. That will typically lead to deposits. If it is well formulated, it should not "break" your chainsaw but there are competing design choices. Things like engine oils use detergents as dispersants but these may not be green enough. Professional users have plenty of oil through-flow and won't have bottles of oil hanging around in sheds for months or years like most of us do.

Reply to
newshound

Well despite my misgivings, the pump arrived today (only ordered at 5 pm yesterday!) and fits just fine. Everything reassembled and for the first time in ages, my chainsaw passes the ?splatter test? so I?m very happy. So happy I treated it to a new chain too. ;-)

Next time I?ll just try flushing all the lines first (now that I know how to get at them and have the tools to remove the clutch).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

RESULT!

Reply to
newshound

And a happy Christmas tuit and any other round tuits sneaking a bit of usenet before the rest begins

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher