Painting with a Roller - History (OT ish)

Just doing a spot of painting and remembered that my parents used a roller for the first time in around 1960. It made me wonder - when were paint rollers introduced and when did they get into common usage? Perhaps the old "distempers" were not very 'roller-friendly'.

Remember some of the old names Walpamur, Jellipex, Brolac.........................

Regards

John Plant

Reply to
DerbyBoy

1940 Still got some brolac somewhere

NT

Reply to
Tabby

My parents had a spray painting attachment for the vacuuum cleaner! You took the hose off one end, put it on the other so that it was blowing and attached the spray painting unit - it was totally useless though.

They also had one of those wallpaper pasting machines. That was a little more successful, but took way too much cleaning up and had a habit of popping the rollers out mid-way through.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Wonderful for that loverly veneer of dust and paint specks ;)

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

It only went off sale just over five years ago when it was replaced by Macphersons, which was/is actually the same paint.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

the first time in around 1960. It made me wonder -

Perhaps the old "distempers" were not very

Brolac.........................

# Non-drip Jellipex, makes good painting easy...#

# Hadrian, Hadrian the deep gloss paint, for a really professional finish, use Hadrian.#

Reply to
Graham.

Reply to
Janet Haagensen

Reply to
Janet Haagensen

I guess its better than rolling with a painter?

We had a roller in 1956, in a flat we had in Wandsworth, but it was pretty crude made of cheapo plastic foam and on ceilings, according to my dad, I was only 6 at the time, left big bits unpainted and could not be cleaned. A waste of money. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

It must have been good they named a wall after him. Anyway, My feeling on the old original roller was it was a name that started with wall, but was much longer. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Just bung paint rollers in the washing machine on a cold wash and they clean up nicely (assuming water based paints).

I forget which of the varied paints I've used during lockdown caused the problem but one of them destroyed foam rollers. OK for around 10 minutes use but then the roller started reducing rapidly in diameter as the foam disappeared.

Reply to
alan_m