Painting over varnish on doors?

We are replacing the internal doors on the bottom floor of our house except two partly glazed internal doors which are in good condition. The varnish on these existing doors is quite dark and as the new doors will be painted white I would like some advice on removing/painting over the exisitng varnish and also removing flecks of varnish on the glass (from the previous time it was painted). Also I have to paint five doors from scratch so any advice for this would be a great help.

Thanks

Reply to
Neil

Just sand the varnish down with a sander(Aldi have a detail palm sander for (14GBP) and seal with primer, then paint. Regards to paint getting on glass, just paint the door and don't be too worried about getting it on the glass, leave it to completely dry for 48 hours or more and get a new stanley knife blade, score/slice the edge of the glass where it meets the wood then scrape away the paint with stanley blade.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Just lightly sand the varnish to give a key. You don't need a sander but if you have one it will save a job. Use fine grade. I recently got away with coarse but it was a rush job and I was going to be using vinyl -which goes on quite thickly.

If I'd tried that with a sander I'd have ruined the finish.

Wipe the dust off with a damp rag, allow to dry and use a good undercoat and you are away. If the heating is on; by the time you have prepared and painted the second door, the first will be ready for the top coat.

Paint all the rebates first then any badgering on the panels, then their faces, then the rails then the uprights. You can scrape the glass as... ahem... said.

For future reference, outside glazing needs to have a thin border of paint on the glass, to seal the putty.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

badgering,rails, uprights, please explain these terms to me?!?!

Reply to
Neil

I don't know what design your door is. It may just be a flat composite with an hole cut for the glass and some beads in it.

However if it is a fancy piece of joinery it may have panels in it which have bevelled edges. These used to be called bagerered panels a long time ago.

The idea is that you do all the intricate work or all the stuff that you won't catch your fingers or knuckles on first. If you just start at the top and work down, you may smudge some of the work getting into corners.

You do the horizontal rails next to last then the uprights or legs of the door frame so that you can wipe the paint in the direction of the grain with your last strokes of the brush. It makes the job a little quicker and helps you to concentrate.

A little trick to "cutting in" on edges you are painting, is to watch the flow of paint in front of the bristles as you go. If you have just the right amount of paint loaded in the brush, it will flow out at just the right speed for you to hold it steady.

Like learning to drive a car, as you get used to looking at the road you learn to go faster.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer