Painting a Concrete Patio

Hi all,

I have a patio which is 5m by 5m. It is made up of a number of differing concrete slab, e.g. different colours. To make it more uniform, I have decided to paint it.

Not know much about paints, I was wondering if anyone can recommend a paint for the job.

Checking my local B and Q, I found masonary paint, which I think may only be of use on externior walls, and Patio paint that Ronseal do, however, they do not have a great range of colours (grey, teracotta or buff).

Can someone please suggest a paint or something I could use on the patio to make it more colourful ?

Thanks in advance

GW

Reply to
GW

What! Red/white squares, that sort of thing?

Some sort of garage floor paint?

I think I'd try to find slabs to match the colour you like best, and replace the offending ones, as a sort of compromise.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Yes it is Red and White squares, with a number of grey slabs to increase the size of the patio.

Would garage floor paint not peel and flake is used outside ?

Rather than replacing the slabs I was hoping to paint all the slabs so that they match.

GW

Reply to
GW

Lovely!

Probably. You'll have trouble getting anything abrasion-resistant to stick to it (withot going to such an expense that replacing might be cheaper).

I don't think you've much chance. Do you know what the slabs are laid on?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Make sure you use a non-slip floor paint, nightmare when they get wet otherwise.

Reply to
TonyK

Bad decision. Only paint stuff you have to. Paint once, paint forever. Paint peels, flakes, deteriorates, period. Nature of the stuff. Oh and it'll look awful, of course, YMMV

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

Unless you thin it to the point where it doesn't form a film on the surface. How you'd stop it bleeding into the next slab is another matter.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Many years ago there was a firm selling concrete colourant that worked chemically - some form of acid IIRC. I agree with the other posters about painting being likely to look awful within a short time.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Don't. Whatever you do it will look awful and given a little time it will look truly awful.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Bad Idea

Rick