Paint vapour barrier?

As I understand it, the plywood walls on my workshop will require a vapour barrier on the inside of the internal sheets. I can pick up pots of old gloss paint etc. at my local tip for a couple of bob a go... Would a layer of paint be sufficient...or would I be better off using a proper barrier?

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Aluminium foil is 69p/roll at tesco. Each roll will do about a sheet. Spray on diluted PVA, and just slap on the foil. Very easy.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Yes its a vapour barrier, but will it last the life of the building? If not...

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It also has the advantage that, when you are inside, you don't have to wear your foil hat, to stop aliens controlling your mind. :-)

Does it stop you listening to the radio though?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

It must be effective. Listening to Radio 4 is still possible, but watching CNN is not (which addresses your first point)

Reply to
Andy Hall

|>> As I understand it, the plywood walls on my workshop will require a |>> vapour barrier on the inside of the internal sheets. |>> I can pick up pots of old gloss paint etc. at my local tip for a |>> couple of bob a go... |>> Would a layer of paint be sufficient...or would I be better off using |>> a proper barrier? |>

|> Aluminium foil is 69p/roll at tesco. |> Each roll will do about a sheet. |> Spray on diluted PVA, and just slap on the foil. |> Very easy. | |It also has the advantage that, when you are inside, you don't have to wear |your foil hat, to stop aliens controlling your mind. :-) | |Does it stop you listening to the radio though?

Surely Cling Film will work as a vapour barrier, same method.

**not tried it myself**
Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I don't understand it - why? I've used a weatherboard shed as a workshop for 30 years without a vapour barrier with expanded polystyrene sheets as insulation - what's the barrier for ?

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Basically, it vastly improves the Signal to Noise ratio ;-)

Reply to
Chris Styles

I assume it's to stop condensation building up in the cavity. There's certainly a lot of it in this shed...particularly on the aluminium roof. It looks like I've dealt with this by lining the roof with thin polystyrene ( prior to insulating and enclosing it ).

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

No, polyethylene is permeable. Thick polyethylene is approximately impermeable for these purposes, but thin cling film certainly isn't.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Agreed. If its being lined..or line with foiled plasterbaord or foil coated insulation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

To prevent internal warm moist air touching cold wood, and condensing making a perfect eco system for moulds and rots.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

nor is it polythene.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I know, but it's a reasonable approximation for these purposes. Also some of the hefty grades of pallet-wrapping films are polyethylene

Oddly enough, I have a degree that involved the chemistry of clingfilm and its uses for making X-ray lasers. Took us ages to work out what this mythical new substance "Saran" was that the Yanks were using...

Reply to
Andy Dingley

And yet you claim a coat of paint is a vapour barrier.....

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Alternatively to other answers use this stuff:

(or )

David

Reply to
Lobster