Paint terminology help please...

What is the difference between a primer and an undercoat?

Looking to paint doors, skirting, and facings - all are now striped.

Was looking at

and
with the later much cheaper (I have 5 doors inc. facings and skirting in 5 rooms to paint).

Plan it to finish with

JoeJoe

"JoeJoe" wrote in news:42c1c11f$0$2060$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net:

I think that paint is hard to find these days

mike

Reply to
mike ring

The primer is to give good adhesion to the material. Hence different ones for wood and metal, etc. Undercoat at one time was always near the same colour as the top coat but less expensive, so made the job slightly cheaper than using two or more coats of top to get the depth of colour. But things are a bit blurred these days. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

?

I can find lots of it. How much and what type do you want?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

What Dave said.

The need to achieve a good bond is still with us, but modern paints have such good covering power they make undercoat almost superfluous.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Traditional painting uses a three coat system: primer, to prepare an unpainted surface to receive paint; undercoat, to build up the colour; and top coat, to provide protection to the whole. Modern paints tend to be one coat paints, which achieve colour build and protection in the same paint.

If you want the paint job to last, buy Dulux.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

different ones

slightly

Depends on what you are painting, some surfaces still require the use of a primer and then undercoat.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

"nightjar .uk.com>"

colour; and

Err not IME, totally wrong about one coat paint, you still need to use undercoat (if not primer) were the surface has not been painted before or the paint has been removed, 'one coat' paint is for final top coat / *re-finishing*.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Don't think anyone is disputing you still need a primer on a bare surface. It's the undercoat which may be dispensable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You're supposed to paint it on all over in one coat, not stripe it!

Primer is supposed to "stick" well to the timber (or whatever).

Undercoat covers and is very opaque.

Gloss is the final thin "shine".

I wouldn't buy cheap paint.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It's also a problem. Great thick coats of D-I-Y "one coat", "non- drip" and similar can give rise to problems.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Primer is there to stick to the ioriginal surface and seal it and possibly to create a smooth surface - i.e a good primer sticks well to teh (wood) is thick and can be sanded to give a toally grain free finish. The unedrcaot is there to basically provide MOST of tghe coulr - its teh bit that reflects most of te light.

The top coat is there to provide the corect surface finsih and be the main defense against damage - so it might be hard and glossy, but often has less pigment in it than the undercoat.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Primer doesn't give much build, it's the undercoat that you sand for a smooth finish.

Reply to
Rob Morley

You shouldn't "sand" primer at all.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I never said you should :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Really traditional paint is made of linseed oil and pigment. On bare wood you first put on a coat of linseed oil then three coats of paint. All the same stuff - no primer and undercoat. Buy Sweedish Allback linseed paint from Holkham Paints (Their website has lots of good information:

) It's expensive but the manufacturers say you won't need to add another coat for 14 years. Which makes it very cheap. Plus it's genuinely breathable so the wood can dry out. Modern paint cracks, lets water in and traps it leading to rot and flaked paint.

"The most expensive paint is cheap paint"

Reply to
biff

I didn't say that you said you should. Leave it there?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The statement that one coat achieves colour build and protection in the same paint means that it replaces both the undercoat and the top coat used in traditional systems. Primer will still be required if the base material is unpainted. You should not use undercoat as the base coat on an unpainted surface and you shouldn't need it over primer if you are using a one coat paint.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Biff wrote;

Ain't that the truth......

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Depends. I use filler primer a LOT on stuff that has to have an immaculate finish. It is often the best place to fill grain.

Undercoat is only there for colour.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher