Paint for Fire Doors

Do Fire Doors (currently left undercoated by installer) need any special kind of gloss paint? Hotel application.

Or can you just slap on normal gloss?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

"Unglazed areas of any fire door leaves are generally not required to provide a specific surface spread of flame requirement and may therefore be decorated as desired. ... If glazing beads have been painted with intumescent paint, it is essential that they should be repainted with a similar paint." Excerpt from

firedoor manufacturer's instructions would be authoritative, however.

Personally I would be inclined to get whatever paint specification you choose approved in writing by the client, stating it's on fire doors, to cover your own back.

If the door's on fire and giving off nasty fumes anyone in the vicinity is probably going to be past caring by that point anyway.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You could try the major paint manufacturer's advice guides - Crown have Timonox flame retardent paint.

Owain

One potential problem that occurs to me - is that it must be possible to open firedoors even after they've been subjected to fire (e.g. in a rescue) - so there's rules about how firmly the intumescent seals might cause the door to bind. Would the paint cause the door to bind into the frame in the same way?

(In practice, I'm sure the fire service deal with everything in their stride)

Often you see firedoors varnished - not sure if this is because manufacturers tend to supply them this way, or some technical reason - but it does help them stand out as firedoors, and would show up any bodged-up alterations that might compromise them.

Reply to
RubberBiker