Packing out tiling?

Just a quick one to collect any good ideas.

Got a bath tiled all round to half height. But now I want to stick a shower head on the wall so want/ (need?) to tile right up to the ceiling within the shower area of it.

Now, the lower tiling was done over the older tiles so sits quite proud of the wall so any new tiling above needs to be at the same level.

So, my question is, what's the best way to pack the wall out to the same level before tiling?

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Dry lining? - it all depends on how far you want to come out from the original wall....bonding may be OK if it's around 10mm, you don't need to skim over for either of these options. Don't use wood of any kind.

Reply to
Phil L

Frankly skim it with plaster

A few tiles or some e.g. 5mm ply in a few places to get the depth right may help...then you can run a scraper across them to set the plaster right.

Finish doesn't have to be smooth. Just level.

If you have money to burn, put up thin ply/MDF instead.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ordinary ply/MDF in a shower? I wouldn't do it..

Reply to
Paul Andrews

More fool you?

I've done it all over the place.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tiles.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Remove the existing tiles, both layers. Attempting to extend the current field will look manky. The tiles won't match, either.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Ta, for all the advice

I'd like to redo the whole thing but don't have the time.

Reply to
daddyfreddy