Ownership of land under you

Presumably only as the result of incompetant surveyors, working both on behalf of buyers and the Building Societies, who in turn presumably, are covered by equally incompetent professional indemnity insurers.

michael adams

michael adams

But part of the buying process will involve, as standard, examination of flood risk data from the EA and water authorities. So very much caveat emptor - the buyer will certainly be made aware by their solicitor of such a risk and a dry winter will do nothing to cover it up.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On 03/12/2014 10:39, "Nightjar

Reply to
Roger Chapman

"Tim Watts" wrote

Assuming all parties do their job properly. A friend of mine bought a house and only when he applied for persmission to build an extension did he find there was a sewer running under the area he wanted to develop. None of this showed up in the searches and surveys. The net result was he couldn't extend and had to move.

John.

Reply to
John

That could get complicated, because drawing loads of water could cause an empty gap somewhere and your whole street collapses.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Absurd. If a mining company wants to mine, they should either own the land they are digging under, or pay a large sum of money (some kind of percentage of what they find?) to the land owner.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

I thought so called mineral rights have not belonged to the land owner for a very long time?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So if a farmer finds something valuable under his land, he can't have it? Fuck's sake. Who does get it then?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

How did the sewer show up at the planning stage, but was missed by the searches (which should have listed it)?

Large sewers (which I assume this was, and not just a little 4-6" one that serves a few houses) should be on someone's plan?

Reply to
Tim Watts

"Tim Watts" wrote

I assmue someone didn't do their job properly, which is how my original posting began.

Agreed.

John.

Reply to
John

We're not in America. You don't own any coal oil or gas under your house. Belongs to the government to sell as they see fit.

Reply to
harryagain

Rainwater is yours until it crosses the boundary of the property. Then it belongs to the utility company. All other water (surface or ground) you have to get permission to obstruct or abstract it. And buy a licence which stipulates exactly how much you can remove.

Reply to
harryagain

Sometimes I think we haven't moved on since King Henry.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

What they did steal was the water supply infrastructure, reservoirs etc. (Paid for by local councils) and sold to private water companies.

Reply to
harryagain

The government/queen.

Reply to
harryagain

I've seen a house with a stream running through it. Are you seriously suggesting he couldn't use that water?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Oops, I meant the stream was in the garden :-)

Reply to
Uncle Peter

On 03/12/2014 15:57, harryagain wrote: ..

Not if you are abstracting less than 20 cubic metres per day, which few domestic users are likely to do.

Reply to
Nightjar

1 cubic metres = 4,399.38315 Imperial gallons, so I guess 20 cubic metres is an awful lot of wet stuff, and far more than any domestic user could use even if he/she left all their taps running continuously.

John.

Reply to
John

Or rather 20m^3 is.