overpaintable anti-mould paint.

sounds like a good opportunity, CWI could help there. You'll still need to get rid of excess damp though.

holes can be cut from indoors only - debris can fall out of course so some cordoning may be needed. A dehumidifier is generally cheaper though.

It puzzles me how many people produce tons of steam when cooking. Learning not to is trivial.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In a 70s build I wouldn't usually expect those to be the problems, though can sometimes be. Excess water vapour dumping is more likely the prime problem. If the place has been overenthusiastically sealed up later then ventilation can be an issue.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Ah. There are a couple of other options.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr
<snip>

More a case of over the cliff here.

This one is said to contain N-alky( C12-16)-N, NDimethyl-N-benzyl-ammonium-chloride but I'll have to take their word for that.

Sounds impressively chemically. Don't know how effective it is though. Maybe we'll see after it's been splathered with expensive anti-mould paint.

It had a good dose of bleach to start with but then I read that bleach only attacks mould on the surface, that it doesn't get down to the nitty-gritties.

Maybe N-alky( C12-16)-N, NDimethyl-N-benzyl-ammonium-chloride AND anti-Mould paint is overkill. The again, underkill might prove disappointing.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack
<snip>

Great idea. I like it. It's going to take someone a bit more supple than me to do that though, as the drilling machine will have to be squeezed into the narrow space above some tightly fitted cupboards.

I'm considering a dehumidifier, though it's surely less of a direct approach than blowing the steam straight out of a hole in the wall.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy doing my share of the cooking but my wife is a fanatical steamer of food. She believes the method will keep us healthier for longer. She uses a 4 tier electric steamer.

We've tried steaming in the microwave and have bought various plastic devices for doing so. But there's not the height for 4 tiers in there, the plastic lids tend not to fit too well and though we'd love to find a stacking microwave steamer made from glass rather than plastic, the search is proving to be a long, and so far, fruitless one.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

bleach evaporates, it's a 1 off attack only. I wouldn't be confident of anything soaking in & killing it all. Chemicals are useful short term but not the whole solution. Dryness does work.

The main thing is to tackle the RH, without that a cure is unlikely. Bleach can then remove much of the surface mould usually, and some chemical can be left behind to attack the rest. Yes you can use mouldproof paint if you want, and can make it from standard emulsion for pence. I've used it, but that last approach is not one to rely on.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

TCO works out less for a dehumidifier, and it's much more effective. Also hassle free, compared to core drilling.

Maybe time to get the blowtorch out :) A dimmer could reduce the escaping steam.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr
<snip>

I'm going to adopt most of the useful suggestions given. I'd certainly appreciate your recipe for mouldproof paint.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr
<snip>

I'm sure you're right. Most convincing. Though I'm trying hard to envisage how quickly and easily a dehumidifier would suck the condensation off nearby walls rather than the steam being immediately diverted to the extractor above the stove and blown out through a hole in the wall.

I've gone for the partial solution of a Instant Pot electric pressure cooker. Very little steam in use and even less if I'm prepared to wait until the thing depressurises under it's own ... steam.

Companion dehumidifier soon.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Useful link, thanks. I'll be doing some home brewing next time the need arises.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

The dh is sometimes quicker, sometimes not. Hopefully your new pot will minimise steam production making excess ventilation unnecessary.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Being a belt and braces type I just bought the Meaco 12L portable dehumidifier. Also due to the horrifying sight of black mould creeping down from the ceiling. Ugly stuff.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Very destructive to health that is.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Do you have any further info to point to on that?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Google should give you plenty on 'toxic mould'

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr