Oven not heating up?

I have an Indesit double oven. (Don't know model as I type)

Yesterday, the main oven didn't produce any heat. The fan comes on, so does the oven light and everything looks ok except there is no heat.

The top small oven still produces heat.

This fault coincided with a power cut caused by a light bulb blowing and the power supply tripped.

The oven is only a couple of years old.

What is it likely to be?

Would I be able to get the part and fix it myself?

Steve............

Reply to
dog-man

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember dog-man saying something like:

Identify the fault first, whether it's the regulator or 'stat (often combined) or the element. You can likely get the bits easily enough from

Grimly Curmudgeon

Most likely the oven element has failed. These often trip the MCB or RCD when they blow, which explains the electric tripping out.

It's normally quite easy and cheap to get and fit a replacement element. I had the same problem with my Whirlpool oven last year. I got a replacement element from cookerfix for about GBP 25 and it took about ten minutes to fit it. Problem solved.

Reply to
Caecilius

e:

Ovens are pretty simple assemblies so it is a screw driver and multimeter task to identify the component. As said, the bits a readily available.

I had a funny some years back where the RCD tripped when the oven light (switch 1st position) was switched on. Disconnected the light totally and it still tripped - turned out that it was an earth to neutral failure in the element and for some reason the switch's 1st position put the neutral onto the element.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Most likely the oven element was playing up and took the bulb with it when it died. Had a similar problem - worse - when elements in oven, kettle and washing machine were all wearing out at the same time: caused an awful lot of head scratching until I had replaced all three elements: blamed loads of other things first!

First thing: the warrantee: if your oven is only 2 y old, it *might* be better to leave it up to them. On the other hand, it can still cost an arm and leg even then, and elements are usually fairly cheap as they regularly go, and there are usually plenty of pattern parts about.

Don't know about the Indesit, but our Bosch was pretty difficult to suss as the fault looked like it was in the electronic controls: as if they kept resetting themselves to 150C, for some time, before the element finally died altogether. Turned out the main element had *two* circuits, that had died separately. If you find that there are 4 contacts on your element do be sure to label them and make a note of which goes where. I found it very difficult to work out for certain as the colours in the Bosch on line manual were different from mine (most 'amusing' was Bosch's propensity for putting

*black* live wires all over the place!) S
Reply to
Spamlet

Most likely a fried element. Less likely a faulty thermostat or a burnt up connector. A multimeter will quickly tell you which. If you dont have a multimeter, Rapid online does them from just =A32.44 now.

NT

Reply to
NT