Outside steps

I'm going to build some outside steps alongside and touching an external painted rendered wall to reach a raised garden area at the rear of the property. Can someone recommend a "liquid" damp proofing that will be suitable to treat the outside wall without affecting the newish paint too much?

Reply to
HandyMart

It sounds as though you'd be best off running a stepped flashing 6" above the level of the steps, finishing under the steps (brick, stone, W.H.Y.) to do a better job. The only "liquid" damp proofing that would be useful is bitumen emulsion, which won't fit in too well with being "on show" there. Don't forget to put a suitable fall on the steps.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Yes, I was hoping to avoid the black bitumen appearance. Being an old property and rendered. I can't see the state, location or type of the DPC and what has been done to prevent damp ingress as the ground rises to the rear. Although I can see blue plastic membrane just between render and ground level. I don't want to chase into the render for flashing in case anything gets punctured. The inside is perfectly dry. I was hoping for something transparent and externally applied. Silicone based perhaps?

Martin

Reply to
HandyMart

The render should certainly not bridge the DPC.

??? That sounds pretty "interesting". Can you upload pictures somewhere?

It doesn't last.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Plastic DPC ?