Oue house is damp.

My mum had a top-loading condensing washer-dryer about 30 years ago, so they definately did. It was in an unvented utility room and certainly did not leak moist air. But it was a Miele.

It'll only shit somewhere inacessible in revenge.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes, I had one at least 23 years ago

Reply to
Andy Burns

Oh it would. We only heat the barn (conversion) part to about 12C. We don't live in that part but the space is still damp. Not to the extent of mould or anything near that but definitely not dry as in the properly heated part in which we live and cook/wash etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Correct.

Many woodlice in houses actually come in from outside (on shoes, clothing, pets or walk under doors), their external population can be exascerbated if you have large quantities of forest bark on a garden.

If there is a sudden increase in woodlice - that can suggest investigating further.

1950s houses often have rough sawn wood, joists, directly in contact with inner-leaf & chimney. Rough sawn is particularly vulnerable to decay and insect attack. If woodlice can gain access to damp joists via a chimney they can cause significant damage. Damage can be unseen for over a decade because rain is not continuous so woodlice only get active for limited periods and spider population increases during such time as they are active. Any big increase bares investigation.

Andy Champ wrote...

If they suddenly increase in number it can be - fed by a suddenly elevated woodlice population.

Every generation of house has its caveats. 1950s were no exception and damp can be an issue (ventilate, heat, fix leaks).

1950s lack cavity wall trays, PAR rounded edge timber, joist hangers, DPC, sometimes clear cavities & correct wall tie installation, chimney's with rain caps & trays, eaves drip trays and felt has a finite life where it droops over open cavities, missing gutters.

The OP clearly has a ventilation problem, but also guttering should never be allowed to leak. Pointing & joists can suffer if water is running down a wall, and if a guttering leak is onto a lower low- pitched 1950s roof it will just not cope. Many 1950s had lower roofs at 17-19 degree pitch which subjects sarking felt to heavy wind driven rain loading if a gutter "dumps" onto them.

What the OP tackles first depends on "define guttering leak", I suspect ventilation is #1.

Reply to
js.b1

I have a cheap Hotpoint washer dryer.. there is no condensation in the room while it is drying. The only problem with it is a lack of a decent filter but its OK if you remember to unscrew it and vac it out every 18 months. If you don't the thermal fuse blows.

Reply to
dennis