OT Who is "SID" and why has my bank card stopped working

I tried to withdraw some money from a cash point on Saturday and again on Sunday. I assumed that the cash machine was empty when I failed to get any money. I tried again today and "Unauthorised access" was displayed on the screen. I then phoned the bank and just before my mobile phone battery died I was told that "SID" was in place.

Any ideas on what a "SID" is? The bank is now shut and I cannot call them back until the morning.

TIA

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Suspicious incident detected?

Reply to
Harry Stottle

If it's not Sid of gas privatisation fame many years ago, I would suggest that you contact your bank with some urgency. Francis.

Reply to
Francis

Yup. Its something like that.

Same thing happened to me when I decided to clear a bunch of BT bills and so on online using my card. After two, it froze the account. I phoned up and they reset something, and I had to go into my own banks ATM'sd and reset the PIN to the same as it was.

They said that the commonest use of cards that are skimmed is to do online purchases. I said that was a bit stupid if someone paid their own traceable BT bill with someone's nicked credit card..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A load of easily traceable stuff was paid for by whoever nicked my card details a while back. I got the impression that the bank wouldn't be following things up at all.

Reply to
Doki

Sounds like the card has been stopped due to suspicious activity.

I'd put considerably more effort into phoning them: they will have a 24-hour card centre number for such things.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

It's simply not worth the bank's time to do so in most cases. Even if they nail the culprit, they rarely recover the money, never mind their costs in doing so.

There's a better return on their investment by spending the money on anti-fraud measures. Whilst you might like to see some retribution against the culprit, there's no business sense in doing so, and that's all the bank is interested in. The Police used to be interested in the punishment side of the crime, but they are no longer involved (you can't report such crimes to the police anymore -- only the bank can).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Why? The card's been blocked, it can wait.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

It's an automated system with no intelligence applied. My card was stopped when I made a purchase approaching =A31000 from an on-line supplier who I've used many times in the past but usually for smaller amounts. I tried to explain to the card provider that I used that supplier regularly, and there was nothing suspicious, but even the anti-fraud team are pre-programmed droids who can only read from the script.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The police will though.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm willing to bet in most cases they won't. Hence the reason many don't bother covering their tracks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've had similar online supplier supllier makes a low value "test" transaction to check the card details then a few seconds later puts through the main amount. Trouble is the test transaction orginates in one country and the main one somewhere else... System spots the apparent hyper-lightspeed movement of the card and blocks the main transaction.

Getting the block removed is normally fairly painless, ring 'em up, tell them the value and with who the last couple transactions where with and maybe which supermarket and its location you use a lot and that's it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They must not like you. 8-) The only query I have had with my debit card was when a retailer typed in too many zeros and tried to debit £48k rather than the £4.8k they were supposed to debit. Needless to say it bounced. Then when the correct amount was entered I had to talk to the security people to confirm that I was buying the car.

Reply to
dennis

No, you can't report such things to the Police anymore. You have to report it to your bank, and it's up to them if they get the police involved -- see my other post.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've had that with Abbey .....Automated system calls me up and I have to call back and confirm some payments before they will release the funds ....They also said if I hadn't called they'd have suspended the card as well..What would have happened if meantime I'd gone abroad on holiday and hadn't got the call ( and I know your supposed to warn them you will be abroad but even so it could cause a lot of hassle)

-- Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded . Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Reply to
Stuart B

Bit of a bugger if you happen to be on the other side of the world with no mobile phone coverage, as happened to me once. Ended up in a payphone shovelling in change as fast as I could while navigating through the bank's menu system. Cost a small fortune as I recall. And that was despite notifying the cc company in advance of my unusual destination in case that caused them to block my card.

Reply to
Lobster

I always take more than one card, from different providers.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I suppose it varies by card provider as to how they handle this. I had my Egg card compromised a while back & they were straight onto it & phoned every contact number they had for me until they got me. She rattled off these various transactions all over the world for a few pence & then one from someone trying to book a flight with Spanair. Maybe other providers just block & leave you to call them.

I'm quite happy with the inconvenience compared to the hassle of getting your money back if the transactions went through.

CD

Reply to
CD

Correct.

I spoke to the suspicious incidence dept this morning.

The be all and end all is that I took the maximum daily limit out on Monday, Tuesday and Wedsnesday.

The computer automatically stopped the card on Thursday.

No phone calls or letters from SID. And all I had to do to get the card working was tell the droid on the other end of the phone my address, DOB, bank account no and (this is the best security question ever) how much is in my bank account. Considering that I had checked the balance on Wednesday I thought that was a brilliant question to ask.

I am a bit pissed off that the bank did not phone or email me. They have got all my details in their system.

Adam.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

A while back I had double glazing installed by a firm who I am friendly with one of the directors. The arrangement was we paid "ahem" cash to the tune of £4k. Me & the missus got this over the course of a few days by withdrawing the max amount one after the other. Not a peep from the bank on that one.

CD

Reply to
CD