OT wheelie bin pollution rant

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

'Cos our sorters are well hard.

Reply to
Guy King

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Some places have box for recyclables rather than a bin. Round here wheelie bins for recycleables only came in a little while before we moved here. Before that people used a blue plastic box - and lots of people still do in preference to the bin, esp. if they have limited storage space for bins I think..

ISTR some areas of Leeds still had plastic box (green?) for similar use. I think it might have been those in the old SWAP (Save Waste and Prosper) scheme, which predated the more general recycling bins ISTR.

Reply to
chris French

I've never seen any - but certain parts of Leeds were experiemental areas so they might have had.

It did, it was brought in years ago when Christine Thomas was Lord Mayor. It was the foundation of recycling in Leeds but was voluntary.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

So what happens if you don't have a car?

Reply to
Jim Hatfield

How do you get the charcoal in the first place if you haven't a car?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Jim Hatfield writes

I have absolutely no idea! Ask one of your BBQ guests to take it with them when they leave :-) Someone

Reply to
somebody

It can be purchased in many places. There is a garage about ten minutes walk away that stocks it from Easter till late summer.

The local tip is over 4 miles away and I live in a densely populated area.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

In message , Jim Hatfield writes

A bicycle.

Reply to
chris French

So just dry it out, as I suggested earlier.

Y - e - s :-)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

How come the charcoal is soggy?

Do you have to get rid of it in one go?

I have got rid of:

Washing Machine Tumble Dryer Car Tailgate

in a wheelie bin - it just takes time and a bit of effort.

Have you noticed that some people seem incapable of even crushing a cardboard box before putting it in the bin?

Reply to
John

Providing the bin isn't too heavy for the lift mechanism :-) (Picture of rubbish lorry with front wheels off the ground) Our's post a note on the bin if it is too heavy - happens with the garden rubbish bin (the one for the excess to that we can compost).

To the OP - put the (dry = lighter) ashes into carrier bags before putting it into the bin. I'm sure the bin men don't unpack every rubbish parcel to check it is on the allowed list. However, watch the total weight as that might be underlying problem.

Reply to
John Weston

In message , John writes

Because from a safety point of view, a bucket or two of water over the barbeque is a lot safer than leaving it to smoulder / burn out unattended overnight. Someone

Reply to
somebody

Oh come ON!

Reply to