OT what's this mast for?

I saw this tall mast in the field behind a Travelodge on the M40 in Oxfordshire.

It looks relatively temporary, is held up with guyropes and has a fence round it like they use round building sites.

As far as I can tell there are no radio aerials on it but there are 8 rotating wind speed measuring devices on it at different heights.

Murmansk

Sounds like a survey mast for a wind-farm.

Reply to
Andy Burns

+1

They take a load of measurements, apply totally spurious capacity factors to them to 'prove;' a windmill will produce lots of electricity, rather than lots of subsidy...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yers, I know what you mean. Often a company will be told just one wind turbine will never be noticed and will save its cost in x years. Of course its all smoke and mirrors in any kind of built up area due to turbulence. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The consultants play up the potential output. One near here they calculated 45% capacity factor from a piddling 500kW job, and the council 'believed' them.

next one came along and we got them. They too wanted a 500KW one (best subsidy there is) but we git that thrown into the long grass by arguing it wasn't big enough, and they could have used the site to generate more leccy, so it wasn't the best use of the site...ahahaha.

they didn't expect THAT one. Of course a 1MW doesn't attract anything like the subsidy.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Murmansk

When you mentioned the location, my first thought was the temporary radio mast near Kenilworth during engineering work at Droitwich, but I think it's been taken down now

Until you mentioned the multiple anemometers ...

Reply to
Andy Burns