Water meters on average save 20% of water - is that true?

Properties built since 1990 should have had a water meter fitted. If not - or if an older property has changed a lot - there are other possibilities such as an assessed charge.

Reply to
Robin

Doesn’t even need to be a visible leak as such. A leaking toilet flush valve can trickle water down the back of the pan almost invisibly. If the flat is often unoccupied it could well make up a significant part of that flat’s water consumption.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Presumably that is what I have. Based on an obsolete tax.

Reply to
Max Demian

Nope, a piped water supply still has to be paid for even if there is no meter.

Reply to
chop

An assessed charge is not based on rateable values. Different companies use different methods. But e.g. Thames charges according to the number of bedrooms - with a further, lower charge for single occupancy. Naturally people lie. But then a lot of people simply don't pay given domestic water can't be cut-off for non-payment.

Reply to
Robin

Rubbish. Even today I am not sure that there is any law or regulation insisting on a water meter

When I built this house in 2000, it was never mentioned by the building inspector

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I suspect it's up to the water supply company.

Reply to
charles

I'll leave you to tell Ofwat et al who continue to think that I was right. Eg

NB I and they use "should", not "must" because the Water Act 1989 did not require water undertakers to fit meters in all cases. Nevertheless ITWF that conditions of connection for new builds from 1990 generally followed s.43(1)(c)

"(c) that a meter for use in determining the amount of any charges which have been or may be fixed in relation to those premises by reference to volume has been installed and connected either by the undertaker or in accordance with specifications approved by the undertaker;"

I find that sample of 1 interesting but not evidence of a general failure. I could show you vast numbers of water meters for houses and flats built since 1990. (And I don't think building control have any responsibility le for the relevant legislation.)

Reply to
Robin

Indeed - I don't just pay for water - it's a formula taking in drainage, which in turn is part-informed by water consumption. I can apparently offset some by using rainwater for the garden but I haven't got my head round it . . .

Reply to
RJH

I can do that IF all my downspouts go to a soakaway rather than into the sewer system, which isn't the case. The one nearest to the manhole on the patio goes to that sewer, and another one might do, so I don't have that option. A pity.

PS. My PC's spellchucker offered 'takeaway' for 'soakaway'. Yikes.

Reply to
Davey

Well, do you have a lot of water used on the garden, in appliances or several children who like baths and showers? You will pay moor. If there are just a couple of people with normal usage, you will pay less. OK very wide brush strokes, but I have never regretted getting one and there is only me here, and even if the usage doubled, I'd still be gaining. Obviously, this is Thames water and one must of course factor in the waste treatment costs, which can vary from one company to another. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Notwithstanding that., I rebuilt this house in 2000, and no water meter was required probably because I never switched the water off from the old house.

Oh sure. most new builds routinely install them *now*. I am just not sure when they became *mandatory*.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My drainage is my drainage. I pay for it on my electricity bill, not on my water bill :0-(

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's what the lady on the phone claimed.

I thought the single occupancy discount only applied if you asked for a water meter and it wasn't possible.

Reply to
Max Demian

Last time I looked *all* of Thames' assessed charges required that a meter is not practicable or would be too expensive to fit.

Reply to
Robin

I'm with Thames Water and there is a cupboard containing the water supplies to the flats with mains taps (in addition to the stop taps in the flats) with enough room for meters I would have thought. There is even an (inaccurate) sign on the door saying that there are water meters in it.

Reply to
Max Demian

The builder may have botched that and Thames declined to retrofit them when asked, leaving you with the assessed charge.

Reply to
Robin

On my last bill the daily standing charge was four times the consumption charge. The total bill is still less than 25% of what it was before I had a meter. (Northumbrian Water)

Reply to
me9

A friend had as major leak whilst on holiday, IIRC it was a bath tap washer had cracked leaving full flow into the bath for up to 2 weeks. He informed the water Co. and they adjusted his bill to reflect normal usage for the period.

Reply to
me9

We used to record the meter readings at work every fortnight and compare with previous records.

Eventually a leak was discovered where the water was leaking into the drains under the floor. After that the consumption dropped to 10% of what we were accustomed to. Checking back in the records over the previous 10 years showed slight increases in consumption but not enough to trigger a check. We discovered the leak when the septic tank stopped doing its stuff.

Reply to
me9