OT very expensive AA size rechargeable batteries

£200 for a set of batteries including postage from USA

Am I missing something here or is this completely mad!?

Reply to
Murmansk

Standard tactic when out of stock, to keep the listing "alive", isn't it?

Reply to
newshound

Reply to
Murmansk

I buy my AA re-chargable Duracells on Amazon @ £10 for 4

Reply to
sid

P&P seems a bit excessive too.

Rapid electronics doing similar differnt picture, 4 for £9.10

Reply to
whisky-dave

I think it is one of those ebay "lores", that it is better to leave a listing in place even when out of stock or unable to supply for some reason. Hence give it a silly price so that no one buys it.

Reply to
John Rumm

sellers do that when they are out of stock and don't want to cancel the advert ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

take that back all the prices are mental

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

The same seller's other items, stupidly high prices usually mean "waiting for stock"

Andy Burns

They're pretty special - according to the listing they're Sealed Lead Acid which is somewhat rare for an AAA cell ;-)

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Now showing as USD187.07. It must have gone on sale :-)

Reply to
Scott

Are these low-discharge, like Eneloops?

Reply to
Tim Streater

People askcrazy prices on eBay sometimes. I was looking at at item, new cost £130, and found a second had one for £290)!

Reply to
charles

Maybe they have got the slots as free listings, so worth keeping hold of them?

Reply to
newshound

I note that the seller's rating is somewhat lower than most. "96.5% positive Feedback"

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Available for a small fraction of the price, as NiMH batteries.

Because these units are sold in Canada, there is dual-language on the packaging, so slightly different than the Ebay item. But just a packaging detail.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Do we know what technology type these batteries actually are though? Incidentally why are so many batteries round, not square? Surely the bigger the cell the more power it has? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

They are round because, at the basic level, they consist of a central anode, inside a metal cathode/casing, with the space between being filled with an electrolyte paste. Round keeps the construction simple and the spacing from anode to cathode equal all the way around.

In reality, there are multiple extra layers these days to make them leak resistant.

Car batteries are generally rectangular, as they use alternating, flat, lead plates for both anode and cathode, sitting in liquid electrolyte.

Reply to
Steve Walker

They make round-cell car batteries. But they're not flooded ones. The hardware store here has had these for at least ten years. I had no interest in buying one.

When the composition of the battery changes, the charging voltage ("when is it full"), is slightly different. I would only buy one of those, if it came with documentation.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Yes. I've seen the round cell ones, that's why I put "generally". I assume that they are "gel" cells and that the plates are wound spirally, with gel between the plates and insulator between the plate pairs.

Reply to
Steve Walker