OT:van insurance

Direct Line are (or were) perhaps the worst for bumping up your premium each year and hoping you wouldn't notice.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've jst received a renewal offer from my insurance companay. The letter tells me what I paid last year.

Reply to
charles

I believe they have to do that now.

We renewed house insurance a few months ago. Recently we received a grovelling letter tellinmg us they had failed to show the old premium, and stating it then and there.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Last time I tried Compare the Market or Go Compare (I honestly can?t remember which) it turned out to be useless (due to having had a claim in the last 3 years).

The sticking point in getting a quote was the question ?how much were the repair costs?. This is a figure I?ve never been given when my car has had an insurance claim.

Without this figure you can?t declare that all the information is accurate. GC (or CTM) helpfully suggested I try and remember who insured me three years ago and ask my old insurer. It makes a nonsense of going to a ?one stop shop? to get quotes.

I?ve never been asked for repair costs by any insurer I applied to directly.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

IIRC, they've been forced to do this, and not before time.

I always note last years premium on the prog I use to remind me when such things are due to be renewed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They have to do this now.

Last year when I changed my car and insurance details and the company charged me an admin fee. This fee was added to my previous premium and quoted as single figure in the renewal quote. This disguised some of the bump in premium for this year. I still managed to find insurance elsewhere approx 25% cheaper than the renewal quote.

I note that a few insurance companies are stating that they will not increase the premium in the second year _BUT_ only if you buy their premium product that has many paid for extras that you probably either don't need or could source cheaper elsewhere.

Reply to
alan_m