OT: Transferring a large file between 2i iPads

On Sunday 15 December 2013 23:29 JoeJoe wrote in uk.d-i-y:

As others have said make it the School's IT guy's problem.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'd have a look at the Apple discussions:

Some extremely good support available from other users.

Reply to
polygonum

Can't they just go to the dropbox website and upload it through the web interface?

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, I think you are right. I chipped in based on the shadow of a memory I have when I actually got to use the thing. I did find a way around transferring files, but I'm pretty sure it did involve apps - fileapp and dowmload helper spring to mind.

Reply to
RJH

It is a private school, so as long as your monthly cheque doesn't bounce, nothing it too much of a problem for the stuff there... ;-)

Reply to
JoeJoe

Fairy Nuff.

My very limited experience of iPhones is that they are all a slick must do it our way user interface but the moment you want to do something "different" like move a file from one device to another all manner of walls pop up to stop you. Apart from the "approved" way that invariably involves sharing your data with a third party.

Can't two iThingies see each other and share files over a common WiFi network? Or isn't there a built in file manager app?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In short, no to both.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Though if it wasn't locked down so much, it wouldn't really be problem

Reply to
chris French

Have you seen this thread?

I won't give house room to anything with the Apple logo on it, so I don't know if what they're talking about will work for you, although Hyoerdrive and Zoomit look promising.

Reply to
John Williamson

Wetransfer?

Sends up to 2Gb files - I think essentially a plain email is sent with a li nk to the file to be downloaded. Uses cloud storage but doesn't require an app installing on either the sender or receiver's end.

Or open up a Safari session, log into a dropbox account via the web interfa ce on the sending machine, upload, then do the inverse on the receiving mac hine. I presume files can be downloaded from links on websites? Though I don't know where they would end up stored on the iPad.

Matt

Reply to
larkim

Bzzzt! No uploading from safari on an iPad (without installing an app)

Again safari won't save downloaded files (without installing an app), apart from a few filetypes it knows how to handle (e.g PDF) if you tried to download a video it may well simply play it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

All in all, it's just the wrong tool for generating any content that you might want to use or access elsewhere. Never mind though, they look really cool to show to visiting parents.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

not really, the kids have played about shooting video on with the wifes iphone, and we have had that off and edited that on the PC with no problem. But the school seem to have chosen to have it so locked down that even the ways that would work, won't, or aren't available.

Reply to
chris French

On Monday 16 December 2013 18:43 Andy Burns wrote in uk.d-i-y:

WTF? Really glad I do not have any more Apple products!

Reply to
Tim Watts

As no one's mentioned anything to answer the OP's Q.

Ask them to check if they've got 'AirDrop'. It's on OSX 10.8.5 and iOS 7.0.4 don't know about others.

:Share instantly with people nearby. If they :do not appear automatically, ask them to open :Control Centre and turn on AirDrop

A bit like a WiFi version of BlueTooth I think

John Mulrooney

Reply to
JTM

There's no user-visible filesystem to pick a file from ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

So what use are these devices apart from posing and playing games? You can't even rely on them to be an alarm clock FFS!

Reply to
Dave Liquorice