OT: Trankliments

Today, preoccupied, I said to a visiting child who I was about to take home, "Have you got all your your trankliments?" Meaning toys, shoes, phones, etc.

Is this word in use in other areas, or is it just Yorkshire?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Hardly surprising, given it's an English regional dialect word. OED2 has "trinklements" which it says is a Lancashire word meaning "trinkets, knick-knacks".

Reply to
Custos Custodum

See

Chris Hogg

Not heard it but guess that it?s a dialect form of ?accoutrements?.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

According to Wright's 1896 "The English Dialect Dictionary" a bit wider:

TRANKLIMENT, sb. Cum. Wm. Yks. Chs. Shr. Also written tranklyment Yks.; and in forms tranklement Yks. Shr.1; trantlement Cum.14 Wm. [tra·?kliment, tra·?klim?nt.]

  1. A trinket, knick-knack, ornament; a toy; useless article. Cf. trantle, sb.1 2, trinklements. Cum.14 Wm. Thoo mun be a mafflin ta think et I'd knaa what ta meeak a sick trantlements, Brigsteear Gooardy, in Clarke Spec. Dial. (ed. 1885) pt. iii. 23. w.Yks. Ah howd it true wi' him wot sings On golden coorded tranklyment, Pogmoor Olm. (1896) 3; w.Yks.2 Chs. Chs. Sheaf (1884) III. 178.
  2. Gear, belongings, odds and ends; gen. used in pl. w.Yks. It's heigh time at we'd a ockshan sale, an sell off all wir ships an' feightin tranklements, Tom Treddlehoyle Bairnsla Ann. (1860) 56. s.Chs.1 Iv ahy aam? t? weyt-wesh dh)aay?s-plee?s, ahy m?n aav? au? dheyz traangk?lim?nts tai?n aayt; ahy m?n aav? ? tley?r bongk. Shr.1 Now then, young uns, clier away yore tranklements.

I'm a bit surprised you don't have a well-thumbed copy of Wright's so as to be able to educate the grandchildren on their heritage :)

Reply to
Robin

Well, I'm half Yorkshire and had not heard it myself. Sounds like some kind of composite of two words to me. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Not familiar with that version/spelling, but...

tracklement Jump to navigation Jump to search Contents

1 English 1.1 Etymology 1.2 Noun 1.3 References

English Etymology

Coined in its current sense by the English cookery writer Dorothy Hartley in her book Food in England in 1954, but probably derived from a similar dialect word with variant spellings (e.g. tranklement, tanchiment) used before that date across North and Central England and meaning "ornaments, trinkets; bits of things". Noun

tracklement (plural tracklements)

(Britain, rare) A savoury condiment (for example a mustard, relish or chutney), especially one served with meat.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

As it was possibly written by Bill (or just maybe his forbears) he probably has a number of copies that were presented by his publisher.

Reply to
Bev

It must be admitted that's it's probably aged better than the cardigans featured on the front covers of "Television".

I often read (past simple) that magazine in WHSmiths.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

That must me a cheapskate publication.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

So, Is this word in use in other areas, or is it just Yorkshire?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

It's a new one on me. (Lancs)

Reply to
R D S

I'd never heard of it, and all search hits said yorkshire or specifically sheffield ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've only ever come across it in Yorkshire. A few miles up the M1 from you its 'tranklements - with an 'e' not an 'i'.

A few miles south of you into Derbyshire and it was never heard and had to be explained.

Reply to
Bev

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Never heard it darn sarf (surrey/East anglia)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

While Joseph Wright came from Bradford he had no issue who survived beyond childhood so he can't be one of Bill's forebears as such. Possibly a collateral. Not to mention a bloody clever bloke who went from illiterate mill worker to Oxford professor.

Reply to
Robin

He might have had a bike. Many of my male ancestors had bikes, I have come to believe.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I have never heard of either. (J38 of M1)

Reply to
ARW

I was a bit further north - J39. Mebbe the cut off point was Woolley Edge?

Reply to
Bev