OT Those crazy Crazy Californians

Coffee sold in California must carry a cancer warning, a court has ruled.

The judge in Los Angeles said Starbucks and about 90 other coffee sellers had failed to warn customers about a potentially toxic compound that is produced during the roasting process.

Richard

If you've ever gone shopping in California, you will notice that a large number of common products contain a cancer warning (to the point where no one takes any notice). It's a legal requirement there.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Any grilled food is covered in carcinogenic material.

harry

I wonder what potentially toxic actually means? Almost anything can be potentially toxic if you have a reaction to it, but cancer? Everything in our environment has a potential to affect cell growth and division, that is why most fast growing organisms invented sexual methods of breeding to try to keep the mutations as low as possible. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Water is toxic if you drink a few gallons (at a comfortable rate) without any other intake.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It means they are unfamiliar with the dictums of Paracelsus.

Reply to
Max Demian

Yup. Wasn't an Australian radio company prosecuted after a woman died taking part in a competition to drink the most water?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Dunno about that particular one, but many years ago near me a lad with learning difficulties died after drinking several pints of water in one go.

Reply to
ARW

Remember Leah Betts?

She was the girl who took an ecstasy tablet, and having been told they could trigger dehydration drank so much water it killed her. The water that is, not the E, which didn't stop her being used in anti-drug literature.

Andy.

Reply to
Vir Campestris