OT The price of butter

Costs and handling of the smaller containers.

Reply to
Richard

I can accept that a smaller container can cost more pro rata. Handling? They all arrive in identical racks. I'd not expect the total volume of each to be very different.

But just how does this effect the price per litre to the farmer?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Consider handling 1000 litres in 2 litre containers vs 1000 litres in

0.5 litre containers.

I doubt that there is any effect on the earnings to the farmer as he supplies in bulk.

Reply to
Richard

I'd say it's all done by machine. Into the same sized cages. Which arrive at the supermarket.

But you omitted to answer the main point. Why would any of this make a difference to the price paid to the milk supplier on the farm?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Huh? This is what I posted: <q>

Consider handling 1000 litres in 2 litre containers vs 1000 litres in

0.5 litre containers.

I doubt that there is any effect on the earnings to the farmer as he supplies in bulk. </q>

Reply to
Richard

And I asked does that make any difference to a machine?

Took some time but we finally got there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

why would this matter to teh farmer, I don't think farmers bottle the milk do they, I thought it was sent off in tankers to bottling plants.

Reply to
whisky-dave

WTF? Did you also attend Dave's "why bother to comprehend" school?

Reply to
Richard

Well can you explain why it matters if the milk is placed in 2 liter containers or teh little plastic things you get a motorway service stations ?

Are yuo saying farmers get paid more or less dependoing on whether I buy a 2 litre container or 4 x 0.5 litre or 100 little pots of milk ?

I know what is likely to cost me more, but noit sure how it affects the farmer.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Yep, it took me only two posts to get you to see that. Now for the other Dave...

Reply to
Richard

It will take more time and plastics to handle the smaller containers. That wouldn't bother a machine at all.

In your haste to appear stupid, you seem to have overlooked the simple economic benefit of shifting more milk. The way to achieve that is to charge more for smaller volumes. The consumers' need to get a perceived bargain drives them to purchase the larger volume of milk. I'm fairly confident there are many individuals who will buy too large a volume and end up chucking some of it.

Reply to
Richard

So your comment:-

***************

From: Andrew snipped-for-privacy@mybtinternet.com Subject: Re: OT The price of butter Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2019 01:15 Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y

I would call it a massive loss-leader (at £1 for 4 pints), used by the supermarkets to get the punters in the door, paid for by the farmers who didn't even get enough to cover the cost of producing it.

***********

was totally irrelevant then? No surprise there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But machines do not have any congnative abilities, so I don't know the machine will see any differences, a human might notice that it takes a little longer or it costs more to divide X amount up into smaller quantities.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Dave, spot the difference: Andrew Richard

You have proven yourself to be an utter fool yet again!

Reply to
Richard

Your namesake brought up whether the tasks would make any difference to a machine.

Reply to
Richard

Yes I know and I don't know any machines to ask if it makes a differnce to them.

Perhaps it makes a differnce to the owner of the machine or the person running it.

Reply to
whisky-dave