OT - TASER

How can TASERS pass 50,000 volts down very thin wires to the barbs without losing the electric charge due to it tracking across the thin wires that are not heavily insulated? Having had troubles with piezo ignition leads tracking and shorting, I am wondering what is different.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Provided that the wires are more than 1/2" apart at 50kV they are fully insulated by the air. If you see a taser being fired there is a little bit of arcing and sparking near the gun and anywhere along the lines where they momentarily get too close together. The actual voltage used isn't really disclosed but I'd guess it was nearer 10kV.

There will be a little bit of coronal discharge as well but I doubt if you could see it even in the dark. It is an ac pulsed voltage as that has the most incapacitating effect and least risk of injury.

that I would recommend being on the receiving end of one.

I can think of one thick plod who should have a white stick that needs to get a couple of belts off one from the blind man he tasered.

Reply to
Martin Brown

The wires are insulated. I would guess almost certainly with PTFE, which can withstand over 100kV per mm thickness for occasional use (which is much more than a taser generates). In this particular application, it wouldn't matter if there was some breakdown anyway; a taser doesn't generate anything like 50kv when it's hit it's target, and I don't suppose a set of taser wires are used much before replacement.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I had always assumed that the wires were a part of the "cartridge" - a couple of spikes, wires, explosive charge - all in one. Or a meringue?

Reply to
polygonum

I hear the cops tasered a blind man the other day. Excuse was they thought his stick was a samurai sword!???

harry

Didn't you read what Martin wrote earlier?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ