OT: Surveillance cameras

I'd like to spy on the mice who seem to be getting through an unreasonable amount of bait at the moment, but really I'd like to get a new toy and learn about the world of surveillance cameras.

Ideally I'd like a camera that connects wirelessly, has movement detection and IR illumination, and records to my PC hard disk. At this stage I'm not particularly interested in outdoor operation or remote monitoring over the internet, though those would be a bonus.

Rather than go for the really cheap-and-cheerful items I see on eBay I'd like a good quality picture, reasonably easy setup, and no reliance on any particular browser or plug-in.

Is that a reasonable aim? Any suggestions?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

As there many cctv cameras which will do what you wanting I suggest you try google . That's always a good starting point.

Reply to
Bob H

I got one of these ^^

Apart from some swearing because it needs IE+ActiveX to set it up, it is actually pretty good both with IR and without.

Had a PIR detector and/or video motion built in.

Be warned you need to buy a 12V PSU - or you might have one lying around, it's standard 1/2A 12V DC with a 2.1mm/5.5mm barrel connector (aka "power plug")

You can record to a PC or you can buy it an SD card and it will record by itself - either continuously or on events.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , Rod Speed writes

I'm not sure about this. I use my 2 very cheap ip cameras that said they needed IE. I don't normally use IE, and think I set them up with my PaleMoon browser. They both record mp4 video OK using the iSpy software. It's a bit jerky and I need to look at why the sound is so weird, but they definitely work and can be steered etc.

I can also monitor them on my Android tablets. I haven't tried recording with them there, though.

Reply to
Bill

To zero as far as I can see.

I've just been through this, checking here and on an IP cam forum.

AFAICS the cameras that need ActiveX are:

Hikvision, Axis, Lilin, Y-Cam.

That's most of the major brands.

Reply to
Tim Watts

What forum were you looking on please?

Thanks.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

I have a motorolo scout IP cam

You can then use this site to log in to up to 4 cameras

Works fine on a PC but not a Mac computer due to a java plug-in not installing. works fine on a ipad3 and ipod.

I got mine from the RSPCA, thre';s differnt models now including an HD and weatherproof. The major downside is that thre's no software for movement detection and things like, or rather I havent' found any as yet.

Reply to
whisky-dave

dave