OT: Suppliers and their interactions.

Ordered 3 rolls of 150mm glass insulation from a cheap online source. Cost of materials, £78.59.

Surprised to have it roll up (!) on a Jewson lorry! Jewson price £165!

I guess the online non-Jewson firm have som arrangement.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Jewson is owned by Saint-Gobain, who also own Celotex and Isover, as well as many other brands, and other BMs like Gibbs & Dandy.

What was the online source? They might just be a direct-to-consumer brand of S-G, who use other parts of the empire for fulfillment.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

That's interesting; it was a CMO group subsidiary, and the product was in fact Isover.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

'Insulation Superstore' presumably? I got the impression a lot of stuff is dropshipped from suppliers: I ordered a Deanta door from an online BM and it was delivered on a Deanta truck (they're in Ely, not too far away, while the BM was in Wolverhampton or something). Perhaps Jewson is the nearest outpost of the S-G empire to you, and 'superstore' just asks S-G to deliver it.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Same happened to me, I ordered some felt shingles from Roofing Superstore and a sheet of OSB. The shingles arrived from them by courier whilst the OSB was delivered by Jewsons. Unfortunately I did not compare prices only that the OSB was slightly dearer than a local timber merchant but by the time I added the cost of a separate delivery it all amounted to the same thing.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I bought plaster on Ebay and it turned up from Jewson.

If "trade discount" from Jewson et al is 30% it's fairly easy to run a reasonably successful virtual builders merchant with an online shop, payment processor, overheads probably about 5%, and fulfilment by Jewson.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

It probably means they have been making a lot of money on that line and now need the space so are willing to shift it a lot cheaper via another company, who are probably not really anything but their subsidiary. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I 'phoned a local place to get a price on a radiator. It was rather expensive and didn't include VAT and delivery. Ordered one on line at about 70% of the price all inclusive - it was delivered by the same local place.

Reply to
PeterC

In message <slgh4a$1hq4$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, at 11:07:06 on Fri, 29 Oct

2021, Chris Bacon snipped-for-privacy@maildrop.cc remarked:

Jewson retail prices are typically very high. (ie if you aren't an account customer).

Reply to
Roland Perry

I've been buying brake fluid every couple of months because I have an untraced leak on an ATV. I was sorry to discover that our local "car spares" place had closed when I went in to pick up another bottle a few days ago. Less sorry when I found Amazon had the same stuff, next day delivery, at half the price.

Reply to
newshound

You could try eurocarparts, with their permanent "discount codes".

Reply to
Chris Bacon

They are. They will nomally do 20% or so, but this would need more than 50%!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It would need to be 60% even on Prestone to match Amazon's Comma at £4-99 per litre.

Reply to
newshound