OT: Sponsored walk for prostate cancer

My missus will be joining an organised walk up Snowdon to raise money for prostate cancer, if you've spare pennies (I know you have) please consider sponsoring her, link below, thanks in advance.

R D S

I'll sponsor her. Just because you got her to do the walk for a male problem.

And also because an Thursday a friend of mine collapsed at work and was out of breath - the diagnosis - lung cancer that has spread to his liver, kidneys and heart.

But the last time I sponsored someone's other half on this newsgroup I got Lou to do it for me and I told her to take the cash out my wallet. The cheeky cow took the amount I had sponsored plus the gift aid amount.

Reply to
ARW

That brings it home, doesn't it. I'm so sorry for your friend.

In recompense, I have just sponsored Rachel. :)

Reply to
GB

Many thanks for that.

Reply to
R D S

Terrifying isn't it? You never know how long you have left. My mum died at 49 with a bunch of cancers, i'm fairly sure i'm in good health but i'm 49 now and i'm finding it a difficult age to deal with.

Reply to
R D S

just get on with it. I'm 82!

Reply to
charles

49 was good. I retired. 64 was bad, Arteries giving out.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

DIYed it this time to save on her administration fees.

Reply to
ARW

Try to think positively. I'm 83 and have so far survived prostate cancer and a low grade bladder cancer but my wife has dementia so I have to do all the shopping, cooking, cleaning, laundry, ironing, etc, etc. Both my granddads lived to 93 so I'm looking forward to at least another 10 years.

Reply to
The Other John

Sorry to hear about your wife’s dementia. Having watched relations dwindle away with dementia too often, I’m (hopefully) going to be refusing pointless life extending treatments when I get older. My mother has been brought back from the brink of dying several times in the last year by antibiotics.

She hates being immobile and dependant. She could have slipped away peacefully each time had nature been left to take its course.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I'm sorry for your mother, who finds herself in this position, and you, who has to witness it.

Whilst euthanasia is illegal in this country, refusing treatment is not. Is it still possible for your mother to make that decision?

For yourself, it's worthwhile appointing an attorney now, with power to decide on your own future treatment should you be unable to make your wishes known.

There are also advance statements, although that might be a bit inflexible for someone in good health.

GB

That's reassuring, thanks!

Reply to
R D S