OT Solar energy generated in the UK.overtook coal last Summer.

On 10:35 24 Oct 2016, Rod Speed wrote:

I wonder if Turnip's wife is barking mad at all. She certainly seems to have held her own against Turnip and perhaps even better him although I wouldn't expect him to admit that.
She must have some interesting insights.
On 06/10/2016 12:44, tim... wrote:

Tell that to the bloke on the ground floor of a block of flats. By the time you have used all the roof space for panels and divided it up he still wont get enough energy.
On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 08:56:10 -0700, harry wrote:

power-stations-uk-sun-a7344326.html
Real partial statistics. What about gas and nuclear?

A how much did this 'solar electricity' *cost* us (where us is not including those with no ethics or morals etc). ;-)
And winter is coming. Anyone spouting the benefits of solar as a real-world solution to anything (especially one that is creating a cutback in anything more reliable) should be made to 1) rely on it 100% 24/7 and 2) not be subsidised by other electricity users.
PV has it's uses ... like trickle charging a battery or running a wireless shed light but till the sun stops disappearing for quite a percentage of every 24 hours or we find a realistic / efficient way of storing the energy ... it's not a practical solution to anything and is never likely to be positive environmentally (even if / when we run out of fossil fuels). ;-(
Cheers, T i m
On Wednesday, 5 October 2016 22:46:37 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

It means less crap in the atmosphere. And less dependency of foreign fuel. It's all happening whether you like it or not/capable of understanding it shit-fer-brains

Another lie when you include the manufacturing crap in the atmosphere when compared with nukes.

Fuck all less when compared with nukes.

Until May gets enough of a clue to pull the plug on it.
We've done that already.
On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 23:26:02 -0700 (PDT), harry

No it doesn't, unless you think all the materials they are made of just occur naturally?

Only when the sun is shining! Like I said when you have the balls to go off grid and stop ponsing off others then maybe, just maybe you will have earned the right to even speak of any of it.

Yes, for now, but you wait till the revolution brother and I'm afraid you will be one of the first against the wall. ;-(

The irony here of course is I *am* more than capable of understanding it by the fact I'm not parasiteing off others in some subsidised bubble.
I have had an EV and using solar panels for as long or possibly longer than you (and still have a Sinclair C5) but I am yet to see any evidence that either solve any real energy or pollution issues, in fact both are probably the reverse. *When* we have abundant and *truly* green energy available 24/7 and we have carbon neutral chemistry (or 100% recyclable) in batteries or energy storage then we might be getting close. A compressed air powered car, charged by your own wind powered pump for example (and not necessarily a serious one).
Less reliance on 'foreign fuel' will only happen when we build more nukes or the sun starts shining or the wind keeps blowing 24/7.
Now, if we could only harness all your BS and hot air we would be sorted! ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On Thu, 06 Oct 2016 09:05:53 +0100, T i m wrote:

For various reasons I dip in and out of a newsgroup for dedicated cannabis growers.
While there is a surprising spread of political views, there's defintely a more left-leaning, green bias. Loads of claptrap spouted about how we all need to be using renewables ya-di-dah.
When it gets too much, you can shut them up by pointing out that no-one in the history of every has gone off-grid to grow cannabis ...
I saw the excellent Marcus Brigstocke recently, who suggested that since Michael Gove is so down with experts, the next time he needs dental treatment, he practice what he preaches and ditches the expert dentist, and go to Eric from the tyre fitters ... who is raring for his first case.

Plenty have here. Obviously its grown outside, not in grow houses.

He's just down on a particular sort of expert that hasn’t got a damned thing right in more than a century now. Not all experts in any field.
On Thursday, 6 October 2016 09:05:55 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

Sinclaire C5???? Riiiiight.
On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 09:17:07 -0700 (PDT), harry

Firstly, it's 'Sinclair' (you can't even copy) and had I been referring to that I wouldn't have used the term 'Plug in EV' but 'Electrically assisted tricycle'.

Unfortunately for you (yet again, as mentioned elsewhere, you really do need to buck your ideas up) ... I was referring to my Enfield 8000 Moke, which *is* a 4 seater, plug in EV and probably ... 'sonny Jim', pre-dates *your* involvement in EV's by 10+ years.
Of course you wouldn't have known I'd got one because I not only paid for it myself, I didn't expect anyone else to pay for the electricity I ran it on either.
Cheers, T i m
On Sunday, 9 October 2016 18:25:01 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

Ah yes. Sounds wonderful. https://groups.google.com/forum /#!topic/uk.rec.cars.maintenance/3dkHaUoZfQA
On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 01:09:44 -0700 (PDT), harry

Not the point (no surprise there, you not getting the point) that I have had and run (daily) an EV for *much* longer than you.
And it's not as if you had a massive choice 20+ years ago.
Nor that I bought and ran it myself without doing what you do and as a means of screwing the maximum amount of money from the rest of us via the FIT theft 'scheme'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_scheme
That describes the FIT 'scheme' pretty well ...
"A pyramid scheme is a business model that recruits members via a promise of payments or services for enrolling others into the scheme, rather than supplying investments or sale of products or services. As recruiting multiplies, recruiting becomes quickly impossible, and most members are unable to profit; as such, pyramid schemes are unsustainable and often illegal."
So if / when we leave the EU and with the government then realising we aren't exactly awash with electrical energy ... will reverse the FIT 'scheme', the whole FIT 'scheme' should be made illegal and then make users (as that is what they are) pay back (to us) any 'earnings' they have made and do community service in the hope they will learn some morals / ethics / common sense (that the whole PV thing always was just a big scam and environmental disaster).
So, tell us again about some electric car show where they *still* aren't demonstrating the 200 mile range Nissan Leaf? ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On Thursday, 6 October 2016 07:26:05 UTC+1, harry wrote:

Quite the opposite. Look at how much 'crap in the atmosphere' wuold result if we lived on solar PV electricity only, it would far exceed today's 'crap in the atmosphere.'

Nuclear fuel is a trivial part of total costs. Solar PV cost would massively exceed total nuclear cost if we based our electricity generation on that instead.

It is.

Some of us can do maths, and thus see through the politics.
NT
On Thursday, 6 October 2016 12:27:45 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Some of us can't and thus understand the engineering problem. And the worst thing is that high-bypass turbines are already being manufactured by Rolls Royce for a completely different industry. And the turbines are said to be the most expensive development, holding back development of thorium furnaces.
Is that daft or what?
On Thursday, 6 October 2016 07:26:05 UTC+1, harry wrote:

Crap being plant fertiliser which at 400 PPM is still too little for boreal forests if we hadn't cut all the little stunts down years ago.
I can recall the decades up until the 1970's when roof gutters were full of thriving weeds in areas that burned a lot of coal. I could never understand the rising clamour for getting rid of cheap fuel.
Only because you fools shut down so much of the second best way of generating electricity.

I think solar panels should be on the roof of the big sheds in industrial e states, economies of scale over fitting the electronics to every little hou se roof. Lot more nasty chemicals and mining go into lead acid batteries th an solar panels. If I buy cheap waste motor oil for my heating and burn it who pays for the pollution and health care for those damaged? When Ed Davey was libdem energy minister he signed off a huge cable to Norway which give s us energy from their fjord water turbines, and when we have too much sun and wind energy exports it to norway to pump water back to the top lake.
[g]
On 07/10/16 11:27, DICEGEORGE wrote:

Then you are en even bigger fool than you at first appear.
Why don't you pay for them then? Instead of expecting ME to?

On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 03:27:14 -0700 (PDT), DICEGEORGE

Norway has no pumped storage ATM. Why would they have? Nature does all the lifting from the sea to the mountains, in the form of rain and snow. If we ever have surplus electricity, the Norwegians will buy it from us at a rock bottom price because it's a buyer's market (what else could we do with our surplus electricity; we couldn't store it once our pumped stores are full), and it'll save them having to use their water for their own hydroelectricity generation. Then they'll sell it back to us later, making a fat profit in the process. That's what happens between Norway and Denmark, when the latter has too much wind, and it's what will happen with us.
--

Chris