OT Solar energy generated in the UK.overtook coal last Summer.

Reply to
pamela

The apostrophe has its place too and it's not where you put it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Oh pamela is just a wannabe smartass. Who certainly doesn't know what I am talking about

The whole point about what is going wrong today has its roots on philosophy, particularly political (social) and moral philosophy and and the philosophy of science.

Popper wrote what he wrote because he was concerened about in particular psychology, and also may other 'ologies' calling themselves 'sciences' when they were in his opinion not science at all. In his attempts to work out why he felt that, he described what he felt science was, and that's a very important thing to understand. All of social science, all of political science, all of the science of Mind, and a hell of a lot of so called climate science, is not actually science at all. And don't get me started on economics..

We have people acting on the basis of assumptions that not only can't be proved to be true, but which are demonstrably false. Climate change is one, and renewable energy is another.

And these are political so called leaders.

Just today I have had an email from an academic asking the simple question 'how much of our electricity is generated by renewables'

The figure quoted by political bodies is 25%. After several hours calculations from actual measured data, and some best estimates on what isn't measured, I get 16%.

No matter who is in error, that's a STAGGERING difference. That's not something you can hand wave away.

36% of presumed renewable energy *isn't actually there*.

at 5p a unit wholesale, that means that about £1.4bn p.a. worth of renewable electricity has simply gone missing or was not there to start with.

Are we paying for it?

And yet, no one cares.

pamela will be along shortly to say that in fact the government figures, prepared to meet EU targets, are of course correct, and the problem is that I am wrong, and its just *my opinion*.

And yet every single person who has gone deeply into climate change,. into renewable energy, into nuclear power, into Brexit politics, all say the same thing. The picture that politicians and the media present is so far removed from the reality that research unveils, as to be tantamount to deliberate deception for political purposes.

Popper reminds us that the output if theories that when measured against reality, show large discrepancies, is not a matter of *opinion*, its a matter of fact, and casts the models into sever doubt.

According to theorists, the world is a degree and a half warmer than it actually is, and quarter of a million people have died as a result of Chernobyl, and thousands will die because of Fukushima, and paying men to dig green holes and have other men paid to fill them in again increases jobs, tax take and benefits the economy.

Popper reminds us that if this turns out to be wrong, and it has and is, then there is something wrong with the theory....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , pamela escribió:

You couldn't make it up.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I can make lots of typos and my newsreader doesn't have a spell checker to help me out.

I guess it's another one of my many shortcomings!

Reply to
pamela

Turnip, I doubt many people in a practically inclined group like this have the time or inclination to read Popper and the philosophy of scientific method.

I must say it's not exactly my idea of a great evening to curl up in front of the fire with one of Popper's papers. Luckily for me I read him when he was alive and I had more inclination for this sort of thing and, to be honest, I had started with Kuhn.

Popper's principal idea about using falsifiability to distinguish science from non-science is simple to the point of elegance.

However it's not actually important for a speaker to refer to the origin of every single idea, such as this one, which he uses. Who really wants the reader to be reaching for a dictionary of modern thought just to make sense of smart Alec allusions at every turn? Who does that benefit?

If you cut away all your waffle you are probably still a smart guy underneath it all. You would sound less pompous and less conceited and surely that has value.

Reply to
pamela

She just did.

Why don't you two book a room?

You could titillate each others bigotry all night.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Read it in your introduction here:

If you booked a room for one, you could give yourself a master class in narcissism.

Reply to
pamela

Shutting cheap energy reserves below and installing expensively useless one s above doesn't sound like a winner to me.

Are you going to let us in on your thought process or don't you have one?

You stop sending organised teams in sequences that you can rely on, caterin g to the use of economies of scale that dwarfs most people's experiences wi th heavy industry and sit the occasional weather fault on a roof not design ed to take it and imagine any of that is a good thing?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Crap being plant fertiliser which at 400 PPM is still too little for boreal forests if we hadn't cut all the little stunts down years ago.

I can recall the decades up until the 1970's when roof gutters were full of thriving weeds in areas that burned a lot of coal. I could never understand the rising clamour for getting rid of cheap fuel.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Some of us can't and thus understand the engineering problem. And the worst thing is that high-bypass turbines are already being manufactured by Rolls Royce for a completely different industry. And the turbines are said to be the most expensive development, holding back development of thorium furnaces.

Is that daft or what?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

In article , Mike Tomlinson writes

I don't have a degree in electrical sciences

Reply to
bert

From the International Energy Agency In 2015 world wide renewable energy capacity reached 1,985GW or about

31% of global power capacity just pipping coal at 1,951GW However the amount of power actually produced by renewables accounted for only 23% of global power production compared to almost 40% from coal. The biggest existing renewable source is hydropower. Some 61% of installed renewable capacity and 71% of renewable output comes from hydropower. Wind power accounted for 15% of production, bioenergy 8% and solar just 4%

Taken from today's DT Business Section Do the maths and make of it what you will.

Reply to
bert

[tagging on bert's post as you're killfiled]

I don't pretend to be an expert, merely an interested lay person.

You, however, an armchair expert on everything, with a 40 year old theoretical degree (from which university? we only have your word for it. We only have your word for it like everything else you come up with) feel entitled to expound on anything and everything and to denigrate those who dare to differ with you.

There's a term to describe tedious wankers like you.

"The Dunning-Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which low-ability individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability as much higher than it really is. Dunning and Kruger attributed this bias to a metacognitive inability of those of low ability to recognize their ineptitude and evaluate their ability accurately"

Dunning and Kruger proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:

  • fail to recognize their own lack of skill
  • fail to recognize the extent of their inadequacy
  • fail to accurately gauge skill in others
  • recognize and acknowledge their own lack of skill only after they are exposed to training for that skill

Sums you up perfectly.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , bert escribió:

I didn't say you did, so what's with the non-sequitur?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I should keep away from mirrors in future.,

Until you can recognise them

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Cambridge, as you might know if you hadn't k/f-ed him.

I agree this effect exists but it doesn't apply to TNP. Much more likely to apply to you since you've managed to overlook gridwatch etc, not things that a low achiever could manage.

Most of TNP's longer posts on energy appear to me to be closely argued and based on actual experience. Some on other matters I can't make a judgement on.

For the avoidance of doubt, all I know about TNP is what I've seen here or on the gridwatch site, never having met or communicated with him.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That Dunning-Kruger article has some intriguing references which may be of practical value to Turnip. Here are some of the titles I saw:

"Why people fail to recognize their own incompetence" "Why Losers Have Delusions of Grandeur" "Revisiting why incompetents think they're awesome" "...explorations of (absent) self-insight among the incompetent" "Ignorant of ignorance?"

I suspect this difficutly is so engrained in Turnip that he will feel absolutely certain that not one little bit of this applies to him and that it's all a smear attempt by people jealous of his perfectly functioning intellect.

Reply to
pamela

Does he have a LinkedIn profile or social media sites?

I dare say he can't resist informing the Internet of his important political views and has sprayed his comments over other discussion boards.

Reply to
pamela