OT: So I was idly thinking.......

I get frustrated waiting for other shoppers to get to grips with the system. How about introducing an IQ test before you're allowed to use the self-service tills?

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember harry saying something like:

Lovely stuff. Boiled in milk with onions.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

They used to be my packed lunch staple for Beaver Scout outings but I always had to buy them in a small shop as Tesco didn't stock them ????

Reply to
Tony Bryer

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember harry saying something like:

All depends what was dumped on yer plate as a kid. Tripe, haggis, shellfish, cow spine, black pudding, cow tongue, I was quite used to and never turned my nose up at them. Otoh, sheep brain, bull bollocks and feet of pigs, just fill me with misgivings - never had them, you see. It wasn't until much later on I tried jellied eel and loved it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

A famous tea shop oop North sells/sold its own potato salad - but a former girl-friend who worked there during hols. from uni. used to fill the containers from 7lb. Heinz tins of the stuff.

Reply to
PeterC

You can keep the tripe and jellied eels. I'll eat the rest.

I also did not like the snails I ate in France.

Anything here take your fancy?

ARWadsworth

The Wanderer wrote: ...

Tesco still use vacuum tubes to collect money from the tills. They are built into the column that carries the light array at each till.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

And Costco, at least at Thurrock. Not sure if they actually use them though; they seem to go round with a trolley and a load of zipped bags.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yeah, I think you're right there; used to get cow tongue at my grandparents as a kid, and though nothing bad of black pudding or herring roe* (which I suppose a lot of folk turn their noses up at). But I don't think I could handle haggis or tripe or eels, having never had them (one grandad used to eat tripe quite often, but never talked me into trying it

- and I used to catch eels for the other a lot, but could never be persuaded to try those, either).

  • what's the verdict on whitebait? They never seemed particularly terrible to me (unlike other stuff, where I could at least understand why people might be put off, even if it was something I liked myself), but the kids are horrified at the concept of eating fish with the heads still on...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Can you still get the Mr. Kipling ones over there? I used to like the small ones that came in multiples per pack - but the larger "single serving" ones always seemed to contain too much filling for the amount of pastry, and weren't as nice.

Funnily enough, I see lots of those here in the US - simply because there are a lot of drive-in banks here (a concept I don't think I'll ever get used to!) and they all have the tube systems from the lanes back to the main building.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Yum.

Had some yesterday morning. Yum.

Haven't had it for years, but my mouth's watering at the thought.

Delicious.

W-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-lll.

Yum. Especially smoked, in my favourite Japanese restaurant.

One of my favourite starters.

Perhaps there's a reason I was appointed "official taster" when we went on a tour of China about 20 years ago.

Reply to
Huge

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jules Richardson saying something like:

Love cod roe with a passion.

Mmmmm... superb.

One disappointing thing I found recently was in Lid'ald - pickled herring rolls. I grabbed a jar and hotfooted it home to try them - handn't had any for years. Utterly disgusting - marinaded in some horrible sickly sweet sauce.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

cows intestines.

A delicious food from Scotland and very healthy due to the oat content.

Not too keen on anything that comes out of a shell.

Never encounter this.

black pudding

Being a Lancashire lad, I love it.

I like tongue on a sandwich. That reminds me of something my father in law used to say if he was offered tongue.

He would say...

No. I'll not eat anything from an animals moth, I'll have an egg instead.

, I was quite used to and

Known as brawn here.

Never come across those.

I've had pigs trotters in the past, when a local hotel put on an Italian night. I'm not one to have to pick off the meat from the bones but it was very well cooked and tasty.

Can't see me ever eating them, but a good quality jellied pork pie, then I am in my element.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Then complain about the loss of a basket checkout. I did this with my local Sainsbury and they opened a basket checkout tout suit.

A recent report says that self checkouts are not very popular at all with the public. Someone I know, who works nights restocking a local Asda tells me they have lost a small fortune by closing the basket checkout. Power to the people

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Pretty slimy stuff, sucking off a herring is not my idea of a good night out...black pudding is kust vile..old socks in gravy..cow tiongue..yuik. been in someone else's mouth already.

But I don't

Se black pudding, above. or tripe

tastes disgusting anyway.

or eels, having never had them

ells is no different from say mackerel really. smoked eels are excellent.

(one

pretty reasonable stuff really, if you don't think about it. Again wouldn't go out of my way to eat it.

They never seemed particularly

Indeed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are at least 50 different styles of pickled herring available from benighted places like sweden.

Some actually taste all right.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Please do tell, for those of us that have to use the till alongside of them.

Reply to
Dave

Where are they? It sounds like a good shop and I am only on the North border of Chorley.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

You were a Beaver Scout? What year was that? Wife is ADC for this town and I don't know how long they have been going.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Mostly all available at your local supermarket

got some tongue in the fridge ATM

Reply to
geoff