OT: smart TV controller for internet

We've got a couple of smart TVs and with both of them, the remote is a stan dard type that has numbers, x-y arrow buttons and various other function bu
ttons. The difficulty we have is when internet access is required (e.g. cha nnel 4 on demand), when you need to search for a service/site on the www an d enter login details. Using a standard remote with x-y arrow buttons to mo ve the cursor and select keys to type is just painful.
Do any smart TVs come with a proper mouse pad type controller with physical /electronic keyboard built in? If not, can anyone recommend an aftermarket solution?
I've tried apps for the phone, but they seem flaky/shit.
Thanks.
Bill.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Recent LG TVs can use their "magic remote" which operates like a scroll mouse, it makes typing in search words from an on-screen keyboard reasonably bearable.
Andy Burns wrote :

They also support a bluetooth keyboard.

Recent LG TVs have an app available for your smartphone* which in turn can toggle the type of interface as well has having the benefit of a sensible keyboard entry.
*if all these device were really smart we wouldn't need this thread!
--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?

I can use a wireless keyboard with my LG TV. Simply plug the usb dongle into a spare usb on the TV.
On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 20:01:45 +0000, Richard

Yup. Me too except my set includes a mouse.
On 13/01/20 20:01, Richard wrote:

Mini keyboards are fine for short amounts of text. This sort of thing: <(Amazon.com product link shortened)79034224&sprefix=mini+keyboard%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-6>
--

Jeff

On 14/01/2020 20:39, Jeff Layman wrote:

Thanks, that looks handy.

What is a Smart TV? TW
On 13/01/2020 20:12, TimW wrote:

Apart from the fact the phrase is an oxymoron, its just about any TV you can buy....
Dave
On 13/01/2020 20:22, David Wade wrote:

A TV equipped with network access either via an Ethernet port or a wifi connection.
They are usually capable of using DLNA servers on your network to play stored videos and mp3 encoded audio.
They usually have internet capability to allow them to seamlessly watch internet based maaterial from e.g. Iplayer, Netflix and the like

--
"The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow witted
man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest

Some TVS will take a keyboard and mouse down ther USB port and you can buy an integral radio mouse and keyboard for small money
Ajnpther option is to set up a domestic webserver and popukated it with links to the places you want the TV to go

"Saki"