OT: slightly dyson DC01 about to die, time to replace

I seemed to have killed my wife's dyson DC01 after 5 years of using it to tidy up after diy, still it worked well :)
I am now looking to replace the dyson with a newer model, but there are so many
I need an upright for both hard floors and carpet, which one should I buy , but more importantly which ones should I avoid ?
currently considering the DC07 ???
DC01_RIP wrote:

I think you just lit the blue touch paper... stand back!
(cue massive thread on merits of Henry Vs Dyson)
I have a DC14 Animal (quite similar to the DC07) and an old DC01. I have been very pleased with the DC14. It fixes all of the design niggles of the 01, and has very decent suction. Makes a great job of carpets.
--
Cheers,

John.

well it is nearly november 5th after all any way whats Henry? it dose not appear to be available at comets ???
are dysons no good any more ???

sorry let me correct my self. I have just found a Henry in coments , its the thing with the face on.
Why should i take a product seriously when it has a face on it, unless they do a more sensable looking upright .

Because it works bloody well. I think you can get a powered head for it, and it'll still be significantly less than a Dyson. And near indestructible, in comparison.
DC01_RIP wrote:

You don't need an upright, get a Henry with a Turbo head http://www.numatic.co.uk/products4.asp?id #
It willl run rings around any Die Soon. Different class altogether.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Personally I *want* an upright. Nothing wrong with the Numatic beasties, except they are not what I want.

My oldest one is still going very well after 13 years.
> Different class altogether.
Precisely - different things.
--
Cheers,

John.

DC01_RIP wrote:

Makro, big Tesco's, online. Look at http://www.numatic.co.uk/products3.asp?r=4&sr=1

They never were any good. Complete shite. Known in the vacuum repair trade as the Die Soon.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

I really don't get this, Handyman! No disrespect old chap, but you seem to have a personal vendetta against Dyson.
We've had our DC01 for at least 10 years: it's great. I had to replace one of the accessories (the little wide-mouth thingy), and recently we had problems with the switch, which I've easily fixed myself. Both of those are fair wear and tear.
I often wonder how people who class vacuum cleaners as "complete shite" actually treat their tools. For example, if I've ever used our vacuum cleaners to clean up after (say) a demolition and plastering job, I've done so in full awareness that I'm abusing the poor blighter terribly.
Anyway: OP _wants_ an _upright_. When our Dyson finally goes to the great recycling plant in the sky, we will be looking at Dysons and also at Panasonics, which are often recommended here.
John
John wrote:

Not really, just 30+ years in the commercial cleaning equipment market.

Probably you are, but some kit will take that, some won't. I don't base my opinion on how I treat a vacuum, but how the market treats them. Daily Office Cleaning is the toughest area and the only thing that survives the feckless, stupid operators and their ignorant tight fisted bosses is Numatic. A Dyson wouldn't last a week.
Thats apart from the technical aspect, which I am very well clued up on.
I also know the trade very well and have seen the huge numbers of Dysons in the repair workshops.

If you insist on an upright (strange fellow) have a look at a Sebo before you buy anything.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Why is that strange? Perhaps he has lots of carpets and a dog...
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

Because a tub vac & a power head give all the performance advantages of an upright with all the versatility of a tub vac.
Uprights & uprights.
Basic upright has a 'dirty fan' vac system (dirt passes through the fan blades) and a 'bottom fill' bag - the fuller it gets, the lower the performance. Basic upright is single motor which doesnt equate. Vac fan needs to do about 16,000 rpm, brush needs to turn at a few hundred rpm. Old Hoover upright your mum had is an example.
Top fill bag machines like the Oreck & Vorverk are better, suction remains consistant. Still 'dirty fan' design.
Ultimate upright like the Sebo BS series are twin motor, top fill, clean fan system, but heavy - 8kg. Ideal as an open country tank, will clean huge areas rapidly, but no good in toght corners, won't clean stairs, upholstery, cars etc that easily.
A Henry Turbo HVR200T-22 is clean fan, top fill, twin motor and will do carpets, pet hairs, hard floors, cobwebs, the car, dust shelves, you name it. Lighter, easier to use, takes up less space & parts are cheap as chips.
Wanna see a 'real mans upright'? http://www.nilfisk-advance.co.uk/Products/VacuumCleaners/CommercialVacuumCleaners/UprightVacs/GU700A/GU700A/Introduction.aspx
Two 1000w vac motors, a 250w brush motor, 65 cm cleaning width, coverage of 700 m2/hour. Optional filtration captures 99.94% at 0.3 microns - 40 litre dust bag.
Awesome!
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman wrote:

But all the inconvieneance of a tub vac - separate bits to carry about the place, and you are tethered to the sucking bit by a hose.

Sounds almost as good as my DC14 then ;-) (also top fill, clean fan, cleans everything (including a whole flight of stairs with the machine at the bottom), and parts don't seem that expensive). The 4" turbine head is also very good for stairs, cars, and upholstory etc. On the down side it is the same weight as the Sebo, but it is easy to pick up as its a single unit.

http://www.nilfisk-advance.co.uk/Products/VacuumCleaners/CommercialVacuumCleaners/UprightVacs/GU700A/GU700A/Introduction.aspx > Awesome!
Indeed! Wish I had the space to use it! ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

[Lots about vacuum cleaners...]
">Respect<", Handyman! Very interesting indeed - thanks.
Reasons we like an upright are (a) easier [on the back] to shove around the house and (b) we like the notion of "it beats as it sweeps as it cleans" [there: I've gone and given my age away].
I'll save your post, and we will definitely look at a powered head on a 'tub' when our [beloved!] Dyson bites the dust. [HA! "bites the dust!" geddit?!]
Cheers John
On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 23:26:22 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"

You forgot.
LENGTH X WIDTH X HEIGHT (CM)    104x75x97 WEIGHT (KG)    51
i.e utterly useless except where there are acres of carpet and no furniture.
Does that weight include the 23 metre long mains lead? - I've come across shorter high voltage transmission lines.
Matt wrote:

I didn't forget - I used to sell them :-)

My post was a little tounge in cheek. Acres of carpet is what they were designed for - in the USA. Used in big hotel corridor, conference centres, exhibition venues, some schools etc.

There is a battery operated ride on version :-)
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
John Rumm wrote:

I have both and think both are great.

Out of curiosity, which bit's died?
--
Skipweasel

She is probably grateful. Had you done it 4 years ago, she'd have been really grateful.

That one has lasted a long time.

Dysons.
From the above you'll have concluded I don't think much of Dysons. You'd be wrong, I don't think anything of Dysons- the worst domestic appliance we've owed in 30 years.
I don't think they make uprights but our Henry is magic.
Brian