OT: Simple maths question

What if you dropped the first .5 you came across, and forgot to pick it up.

Reply to
notX

123?

Essentially I applied the "distributive property of multiplication over addition" rule (but it was much easier, since I wasn't explaining it too). I separated 99 into 100 and -1, numbers easy to divide by 2, and then put them back together.

BTW, "where's the 44.5?" reminded me of the 1980's Burger King commercials where someone was saying "Where's the beef?".

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

When doing maths in my head, I often forget numbers, but I know I've forgotten them and start again, much like when typing I can feel I've hit two keys or ther wrong key.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Yes. Eighty, ninety, tenty, eleventy, twelvety.

Yes, same here.

Dunno, I always fast forward ads.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

It was originally a plural. This, and the Math vs Maths debate is covered in the Radio 4 More or Less programme:

Max Demian

It's not a debate. The language is English. From England. We say what's right, the Americans just f*ck it up.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

It must be some obscure Scottish logic that makes it forty and four.

Reply to
rbowman

you dont go into a store and say 'ten mathematics, please' either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've no idea I don't have any problem with the sum, but then I'm not one for off the cuff estimates. I always look at the nearest whole number. Oh and you are in the wrong groups for this sort of mental issue. I have paired it down to the one I'm in, but crossposting to a list of groups without actually using one which fits might be of more interest in researching your reasons for posting it here in the first place.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

halve 100 then

I always though it was mathematics because mathematics is algebra, calcula s, trigonometry, simulanous equatuions, intergraqtion etc i.e more than on e thing. Which is differnt from arithmetic which only deals with numbers. So there is no arithmetics and if math exists it would refer to just one di sapline say trigonometry.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Mathematics is the same as Physics, they're both collections of methods. Therefore are plural. It may be illogical to speak about only one of those methods at a time, but so what, Mathematics is still plural.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Because I don't think there is one, and if there is I'm not subscribed to it. There's no law against off topic posts, especially when prefixed with OT in the subject line.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

You don't. There are some nouns (for example "ball") where numbers can be applied, and that have singular and plural forms. Then there are nouns that don't take a number, and singular/plural don't make sense.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Correct, as in mathematics, which is always plural.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

But you can say 'give me a physic, please.'

rbowman

You can if you like, but nobody's actually heard of that word.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

'Nobody' was determined by a poll of yourself and the mouse in your pocket.

Reply to
rbowman

And everybody I've ever met in 42 years, plus everyone on TV I've seen. None of them ever said physic.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife
[snip]

I have, and I suppose the plural could be "physics". This is still a different word that the one for the science.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Is 'physic' not an obsolete synonym for medicine? Used in Shakespeare's day, perhaps?

Reply to
Tim Streater