OT: sending heavy parcels to Oz cheaply

I know it is hopelessly off topic, but I couldn't think of a more suitable group (holler if you can!) plus I know you lot are knowledgable on *all* things ....

I am a subscriber to a magazine and I keep back copies to send to a friend in Australia. I have let them build up and it has now to to a

7kg bundle. If I courier them it is going to cost minimum GBP60 it seems, and surface mail won't do over 5kg. I can't believe that splitting it up will make it chaper overall (that wouldn't make *any* sense, so maybe I shouldn't assume that ....).

Does anyone know of a bargain way to send a simple, sompact but heavy parcel to Oz?

Cheers,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Riocreux

What about scanning them into a comptuter and emailing them ? Would take a lot of time I suppose :(

Simon

Reply to
srp

I sent a 10kg package to the US recently. DHL's parcel-2-go was about half the price of the other carriers. They seem to be aiming the service at E-Bay sellers.

Reply to
Aidan

UKP 32.62 for one 5kg and one 2kg sent surface mail as "Small packets and printed papers". According to royalmail.com and if I've added it up correctly ;)

S'pose it depends on the cost of packaging whether it's worthwhile to split them up ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Doh! they're magazines aren't they, not newspapers :( Forget that then.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

No problem, apparently printed papers are "advertisements, books, calendars, catalogues, diaries, directories, greetings cards, illustrations, magazines, maps, musical scores, newspapers, order or subscription forms, pamphlets, paper patterns, photographs, plans, postcards, price lists, printed drawings, printed notices, proofs, prospectuses, and timetables."

David

Reply to
David McNeish

Try uk.people.consumers.ebay (think that's the right name)

David

Reply to
Lobster