OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?

I don't want my credit cards on my phone "just in case".

However sometimes I find myself out and about with just my phone and an unexpected spending opportunity.

Does anyone know of a reliable rechargeable debit/cash card for an Android phone?

An on line search offered far too many choices.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I have a revolut account, which I got for travel....

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Any account you use for that alone will work fine.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I have a Chase account, and have its debit card as one of the payment options in Google Pay. Works fine - and gives 1% cashback on most purchases (for the first year).

Reply to
Roger Mills

I don't quite get your worry. I'd imagine it would be almost impossible to get your debit card from the phone without fac ID on my Apple. Its apparently not stored on device, only in the cloud, so one assumes that a shop inside a faraday cage might not accept Apple Pay!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

The worst of the androids dont do face ID or touch ID well so most only have a short easy to remember passcode so if your phone is lost or stolen, it isnt hard to loot the account you have on your phone.

Yes, but much easier on the worst of the androids.

He is likely worried about the account being looted with a stolen or lost phone.

They can actually. There are a small number of tokens stored in the phone, mainly so that it works fine even when out of mobile phone coverage.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

How much can you charge against the debit card in one transaction?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Apple Pay can be used without internet access, so it can't be only in the cloud.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's my feeling about using a smart phone for anything of great value, much too easy to lose or drop or whatever for one thing and secondly not particularly secure.

Reply to
Chris Green

If you open an account with Starling you can have "virtual cards" which are linked to one of their "spaces" ie pots of money. They only exist on the phone - no physical card is provided. You can use them with Google Wallet but you need to have some money in the pot/space. You can delete them and recreate them at will if you are worried about security.

Reply to
Murmansk

In fact vastly more secure than any alternative in reality.

Reply to
farter

Each of the applications lock individually. You can set different pins and passwords on each app. If your phone is working you can send a remote wipe. A dead finger can't unlock the phone.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Not as secure as my computer kept safely at home.

Reply to
Chris Green

As far as I'm aware, there's no limit provided you have money in the account to cover it. I assumed from your OP that you'd only want small amounts to be accessible anyway.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Phone a friend and ask them to pay online or over the phone while you wait ?

Reply to
Andrew

And yet there have been several instances of phones being stolen and the sim swapped to another phone which somehow makes it possible for the crims to blag the sim provider into providing details that allows the phone to be taken over and any banking accounts emptied.

It seems that everyone should lock their *sim* with a pin in addition to everything else. This prevents sim-swap attacks. I wonder how many people bother to lock their sim with a pin ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Reply to
farter

Wrong with the best smartphones which can't be used by anyone but the owner when properly set up.

Reply to
farter

So (trying to clarify) you could suggest a Chase account with minimal money in it and no automatic top up, run purely for small payments?

My main concern it to limit the funds available through the phone to a few pounds, purely as an emergency measure.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David