OT: 'Phone call today

Good idea, but the caller was not very persuasive in the first place. I think he was on an 07 number, which added to my suspicion.

Reply to
Scott

Is there any reason why it is illegal for them to quote what they think is your address over the 'phone to you, but perfectly legal for you to quote your actual address over the 'phone to them? It's either right, or wrong, not depending on who is talking, surely? Just wondering, in case I can counter the same argument the next time this happens.

Reply to
Davey

I have secret words set up with utility companies so either on the doorstep or phone, if they cannot tell me the agreed word, tough. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's not symmetrical. Assuming you are one of their customers they know your address but don't know they are talking to you. So:

a. if they volunteer your address they may be revealing your personal data to someone else

d. if you tell them your address it's (i) nothing they don't already know and (ii) a small bit of evidence it's you.

But any reputable business should be willing and able to let you call them on a verifiable number if you doubt their identity.

Reply to
Robin

Had one of those 'BT' calls today. Chap with a very thick Indian accent.

Asked him, if he was from BT, what my account number was. Started rambling on about data protection. Ask him to remove his head and put it in a pan of boiling water.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Odd. I'm with BT and never had one. Plenty of fake ones, though. Sure you didn't tick a box by accident?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

No, I specifically didn't. And after the first time I requested no further marketing calls. It never made any difference. FRom the information they had, I'm sure they were genuine.

They did have it down as a business line at that point, as it was the only way to get ISDN (so they said).

Reply to
Bob Eager